most memorable hunt and or hunts

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by outdoorsman, Aug 22, 2007.

1. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Senior Member

i will post mine tomorrow as i need to pull them up at work and copy and paste.... yeah you know me i tend to get wordy but to me they were 2 special hunts i will never forget

2. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

definantly being with my son when he got his first deer. A nice little 8.

3. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

I had a lot of good hunts but this one is no doubt my best.By all rights i shouldn't have even scored on him.I was watching several doe's eating acorns 18-20yds from my tree stand and this guy runs right into the middle of them.It took me several minutes to calm down before i made the shot.Big for where i live and hunt...Field dressed at 197...

4. MO.HICK

MO.HICK Senior Member

Mine has to be two hunts. It is where I was with both my sons when they killed their first deer. Boy what a smile they had on their faces. These moments are priceless.

Mo.Hick

5. outdoorsman

here is the 1st one.... Well I had been bow hunting for 7 years on this ranch pretty hard and it finally paid off for me Saturday morning October 02, 2004 at 7:20 am. I was able to harvest a 6 ½ + year old 10 point a nice 1st bow Kill for sure. He was a very grey color, he was only 15 ¾ “ wide on the inside spread and 17 ½” outside spread, with brow tines measuring 3 ½”, G-2’s 7”, G-3’s 6” and G4’s 2” (crab claw) his bases were 4 ½” and the main beam length was 17 ½” he was thick all the way out to the ends. What was nice was each point of measurement was within a 1/16” of each other. I took him on a trail I have been watching throughout the summer about 150 yards or so from the feed area. (very thick cover) shot was 25 yards he was as close as 10 yards from me at times, when I was able to finally draw on him I had a small 8 point step between us; it seemed like an hour before he moved and I was able to take the shot. It was a very exiting moment and another page of history for me in the woods. The adrenaline RUSH was 10X’s that of pulling the trigger on my 308. my body was swaying from the wind blowing me in my ladder stand that was just tied off to limbs and when I heard the crack off the arrow making good contact I thought I was going to fall out of the stand. Awesome experience……..best feeling I have experienced since my 1st blood with a rifle at 11 . When I used to bow hunt with my Dad before his death when iwas 18 I always wanted to take one with my bow just never had the opportunity..... well finally made it, when I called my mom and told her she was thrilled and her first words were your Dad is beaming down on you know.

I hope all of you get to have the same experience in the woods, good luck ………….Happy and safe hunting to all of you that are able to make it to the woods. (i would post a picture but i cant seem to shrink it to fit)

6. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

My first deer. I was in 4th grade and it was my first shotgun season, my dad was in the tree directly across from me, he had to whistle at me to get my attention away from all those P&Y brown squirels I was watching. That was great, I remember it like it was yesterday.

7. outdoorsman

and my 2nd but most memorable....

Well I need to set up the story with an introduction……..3 years ago I was able to convince my wife Emily was ready to go with me to the deer lease at age 7 and start letting her decide what she thinks of hunting and introduce her to the outdoors.(remember my wife does not hunting or like the idea of it) My daughter had a lot of fun and excitement seeing the deer and being outdoors. So all year she has asked when she would get to go again and as per our rules we did not allow family or friends until Thanksgiving. That year I did not take a gun to the stand as I do not think she would have handled me shooting at that time. We had an agreement I would not shoot anything until she was ready. When the time came the next year to take family I loaded up and took Emily with me for her 2nd trip. Little did I know this would be the trip that would bond us as a hunting duo forever….

It was a warm afternoon in Sonora Texas….

My daughter Emily and I arrived at the ranch at 2:00 Friday afternoon and had I held meetings and discussions for an hour while she climbed trees and played. We loaded up and headed to my satellite tower in the sky on a quest to see wildlife. We arrived and saw around 12 deer varying from a 10 point down to the nubbing buck including a few doe. Had a lot of fun, much of the same the following morning. There were 2 deer harvested by others that morning and while Emily had no desire to go see them at that time she did walk over and take a look at the horns after lunch. Then to my surprise Emily said daddy I want you to shoot a deer. I have waited for this moment for the past several years as I knew it would come from watching the videos at home in the off season together and her desire to go with me at hunting time. So I explained to her we were going to go out in to the woods and hunt differently that evening than we have been in the past. At around 3:00 I dressed her in my camo shirt as it was to warm for her hunting suit. I put a head net on her and a hat and said ok now you are ready. We ventured out to a place I had seen some mild rut activity in an oak flat toward the top of the hill. We took a seat in the brush and started rattling and throwing in a few grunt calls. She had never seen this part of hunting before and said how are we going to see deer ?.... There is no feeder. I explained to her that daddy does not always hunt feeders and asked her to remember our discussions on the different ways to hunt and what type of deer we wanted to harvest. Then she asked if she could do it….. meaning the rattling and the blowing of the grunt call. I said sure you can and she started off like a pro. After about an hour and a half we decided to move to the top of the hill quietly and set up for round two. We walked slowly through the thick brush and found a spot. She starting rattling and blowing the grunt call… stomping her little feet in the brush. A minute or so of quiet passed and we had a doe run up within 30 yards and behind her was a nice mature 8 point buck with a 22” spread. She looked at me and I said don’t move be very still. A few moments passed and they wagged their tail and walked to the left of us and began the chase again. We got ready and I told her to hit the horns together again and the rest is scanned in to my mind forever as the buck turned and came back our way. We waited until dark then made our way over to him and finished the first chapter in a long book of our father daughter hunting experiences.

8. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I will always remember the first turkey hunt that I took my son on. He was hunting the youth spring gobbler season. He had decided that his first turkey was going to be with a bow. I told him it might be a long time before he gets a turkey hunting that way.
    About 45 min. into the hunt I hear a faint gobble about 300 yds away. I give a few calls and no response from this turkey. I tell my son to look out of the blind and see what is around the sides. He looks and sits back down and picks up his bow, I ask him why he is doing that and he says that there is a turkey. He says this like it happens to him all the time (nice and calm). I dont believe him so I look. A HUGE TURKEY is in full strut at 30 yards and closing fast. My son does everthing right except that he shot his broadhead right through the side of my brand new Double Bull Matrix.:frusty:
    We still laugh about this, and no he didnt get the turkey.

9. red44

red44 Senior Member

I guess my oldest son's first. I was at work about to leave and got THE call. He was on his cell, had just arrowed a "6" and could see blood on the snow. He was 15, first year bowhunting. I tell him to head right out back across the river a wait at his grandmothers for me. I give my hunting buddy a call and he meets me at the house. Over at his my inlaws, my son has now told my wife about it and she's afraid the coyotes will get it so they're gone before I even get home. Keep in mind my wife despises the whole hunting thing. We meet up in the woods, go over the shot, take up the track. At 930pm we finally have him. Liver hit, and went 4-500 yards, and had bedded twice, I sure we pushed him, he was just on the last gasp when we found him. Turned out to be a 7 pt 175 lb, nice, nice deer. We're elated, the wife is discusted. My bud hedded out for home to come in by canoe, and he and the boy paddled out with the deer by moonlight. Just cool.