mount experts????

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by tnts79, Oct 9, 2007.

1. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Sorry for the dark picture, I will have to take some better ones. I think our taxi does some nice work. The one thing I really don't like seeing on mounts is the wax junk around the eyes, I have seen them before where the entire preorbital gland is filled with what looks like brown wax and all around the eye....looks like crap to me. Oh and the lacquered racks, why would you want to do that??? Anyone else know what I am talking about? One question I have about my mount is the neck line. There are two straight lines that form a V shape from the base of the jaw down to the brisket...is that normal?
    Attached Images

2. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Don't bash me on should have let that one walk, it was public ground 7 days before the gun season and I put the smack on him at 43 yards. Just beating you haters to the punch, what about the mount - quality or garbage in your opinion??

3. jimposten

jimposten Senior Member

Should have let him walk, You got to be kidding me:doh:

Mount looks nice from here.

4. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Picasa? I have that I just didn't think about it, good work looks much better!:thumb:

5. Werd

Werd Senior Member

i know man should have let him walk. what are you doing shooting them small deer like that? jeez atleast let him become a 15 inch spread. :lol:

6. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I've been a taxidermist for 6 years now. The lines going from your mounts white patch to the brisket are a large muscle group that is most noticeable during the rut. That part of the mount looks fine to me.

I agree with you on the waxing of the eyes. I can not stand one with wax packed around the eye either. It usually cracks over time and I personally think it looks bad. I do not use wax in the pre-orbital gland or tear duct area. I use a small amount to fill between the eye lid and the eyeball and that is it.

7. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

You can go to www.godscountrytaxidermy.com and see a few of my mounts. You should notice the same muscle group that you are asking about.:peace:

8. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I was happy to see mine wasn't waxed, like I said this is the first deer I had him mount and I am pleased with his work. Now the shocker, he only charges $160!!! :rockon:

9. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Really?? The form, eyes, and ear liners cost about $80 by themselves. That doesn't count the clay, glue, sewing thread, chemicals if he tans himself, or the electric bill.

10. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

He does about 200 heads a year, hes retired, I guess he just likes doing it.... As long as he turns out quality work I will take him everything, pheasants, deer, turkeys, etc..... I think he said turkeys are around 300 or 350 and he doesn't do fall birds, too much blood in the quills or something, I wasn't really listening after I heard 300:tape:

11. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I like doing it too, but I ain't gonna do it for nothin....:biggrin1:

12. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Wow that is cheap. Looks good, really good for that price. I have an uncle who does taxidermy in Montana and charges close to $500 for a deer shoulder mount, and he is usually about a year behind.

13. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

If the price is right I would keep using him. The deer looks great in the picture.