NAP spitfire

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by bowcraze30, Aug 13, 2007.

1. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

has anyone had problems with these like them not opening or richocheting of the ribs of a deer. i just read read reviews off basspro and everyone gave them a 5 or a 1

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I shot a boat load of deer in my outlaw days w/spitfires and NEVER had a problem.....the only broadhead i ever sharpened......

Spitfires and Muzzy 4 blade......the best broadheads......

3. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

The only problem I had with em is that they beat the crap out of your wallet.:Cry: Besides that they fly good and they will drop a deer fast.

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I use Spitfires and I've never had a problem.

Ron

5. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

3 deer shot with them two dead and one deflelected on a very steep angle shot. Changed to a fixed blade after that..

6. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

how steep is very steep? do they usually work fine with quartering away shots?

7. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

It was about 5 yds from the tree I was in, 20ft down.

8. BowTechArch

BowTechArch Senior Member

I used the Spitfire XP Pro 2 years ago.

Yes...they will kill a deer = opens BIG HOLES.

Only problem....I bow shoot anywhere from 10 - 12 deer a year [mostly nuisance permits]

The spitfires with their ALUMINUM ferrules are too fragile for anything harder than soft tissue.

At around $10 - $12 apiece...it was too EXPENSIVE to keep on using them.

I have switched to Slick Tricks = just as DEADLY and with a Steel Ferrule which is more durable, and no flight issues!!

:peace:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  9. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

That's a very steep shot...

Ron

10. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

i looked at grimreaper broadheads and they claim to not richochet because if you look at them the blades dont stck out as far as spitfire so it cuts into them before the blades even hit the deer.

11. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

The first 1/2" of a spitfire tip is steel. The rest of it, being pretty thick aluminum, is not likely to compress or bend. I would not consider the furrules fragile at all. If anything is fragile it's the blades themselves but most mechanicals suffer from that same ailement. Also, because of the nature of the design, you cannot shoot them more than 6 times without replacing the blades and the tiny little plate that facilitates the elimination of o-rings and such. That fact basically makes you buy the practice heads for more money... Your cost analysis is correct but not for all the right reasons.

Ron

12. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

I've killed 30+ deer with Spitfires. I had 2 malfunctions and no longer shoot mechanicals. I really don't see the need:cool:

Dan

13. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

Bowtecharch... If ya need some help with those nuisance permits send me a pm. I wouldnt mind putting another one in the freezer:D

14. BowTechArch

BowTechArch Senior Member

On the Spitfire XP Pro, there is a miniature razor blade + small screws = 1st point of failure.

On the regular Spitfires, that is exactly what would happen, the steel tip would cause the aluminum ferrule to bend.

If I were to "only" shoot 2 or 3 deer a year, than yes I may consider the Spitfire, or even the Rage BH.

But, I have yet to have a Slick Trick "fail" beacuse of hitting something like the opposite shoulder, or even worse a tree, tree branch, and or rock!!

:peace: