Need Help w/ a bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by ontheflats, Sep 5, 2008.

1. ontheflats

ontheflats New Member

I am fairly new to bowhunting. I have shot the last few years with a PSE Nova. I know this is an introductory bow and I'm now looking to upgrade. I'm looking for a good all around bow (moderately priced) no more than $500.00. I was looking at the PSE thunderbolt. Can anyone give me some ideas on quality bows. I'd appreciate the advice.

2. wildfan99

wildfan99 Sophia's dad

I just went through the same ordeal. R U looking for new or used?

3. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot New Member

Nobody real LIKES parker because they make mediocre bows. They aren't bad, but they aren't tops. Most guys just spend the extra 100-200 on fancy junk. If you are realy strapped on budget, check them out.

Tell us a bit more so we can help you. Do you plan on using it mainly for hunting? Are 4'' groups acceptable at 30 yards, or must you be smacking shaft to shaft? Do you know anything about your cam aggresion preferences and let of likes? Tree stand or ground hunter? Average shot distance? Do you pack your bow long distances into the woods(must you have a light bow?)?

4. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

There are alot of great bows out there for $500 and under. Just need to visit alot of shops unless you are lucky enough to have one that carries all the manufacturers. Good luck and have fun looking.:peace:

5. BigShooter

BigShooter New Member

I would look into the Martin Bengal not a bad priced bow I believe in the low to mid 400. I have been shooting one for 2 years now and this is my second one it is also my 3rd Martin over all. It is also voted the best buy the last 2 years in bowhunter magazine. If someone around you is a dealer check it out:usa:

6. so1ocam

so1ocam New Member

The PSE Thunderbolt is a great bow. I had one with the old maxis dual cam, it was a good shooter.

7. deerassassin22

deerassassin22 BOWTECH TRIBUTE

New bow

I just had my Martin Panther take a dump on me so I had to buy a new bow a few days ago. I got a used Browning Illusion from a bowsmith that i know it was his personal bow and got it for 350.00. But if you go on ebay you can get a real nice bowtech, matthews, or Fred Bear bows from bowshops or other people. Sometimes they are brand new and still come with warranty u can check that out. I saw a bowtech Commander on there with case, quiver, and arrows for 550.00.

8. Duck65

Duck65 Hillbilly

PSE Brute might fit the bill.:)

9. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

I haven't shot one yet, but the Bow Tech Tomkat looks like a great bow for the money.

10. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

First off: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

I agree with taking a look at Parker, but also look into both the Diamond Line and The Fred Bear Line. All are great quality bows for the money. Just be sure to shoot as many as you can and then make the choice, but also look into a good used bow in the classified ads here as well.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

11. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot New Member

we are just confusing you more I bet. I agree-shoot them all often before you pick. Look at a bowtech tomkat for starters, and make sure you get a bow with good brace height 7.25''+

12. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

I will hook you up with a great Rytra Triad. one of the top end bows at a great price. Bare or loaded

13. MagnifiedFur

MagnifiedFur Team 6

Im not trying to knock PSE or the Thunder Bolt...I had one, got it new,shot it maybe a dozen times and my top limb warped...Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth...I have seen many PSE since then with the same limb problems...I hope they have addressed this issue...

IMO,I think you can get a better built bow for $500.00...

14. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

I know nothing about PSE but Martin makes great bows for mid level shooters for a very reasonable price.