Need HELP! with selecting seving thread !!!

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by WML, Aug 14, 2007.

1. WML

WML Junior Member

I am in need of help! I am kinda new to repairing and working on my own bow, I am getting the tools, and things toghther to begin! But I am confused a little on what sizes of serving thread to buy, and also which sizes are used were?
    Also if any of you could recommend me what brand you like, and which ones hold up the best!

like I said I am new to all this, and have no idea what sizes, and brands, or types work the best.:doh:

Also why I have you, where is the best place to buy the thread , and have largest selction of serving thread ?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!!:wave: :help:

2. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

For center serving I use .020 Polygrip from BCY. It depends on the thickness of your string, nock type, etc... .020 is about middle of the road as far as center servings go. .018 is another one to try of the .020 nock fit is too tight. You may want to bring your bow into a shop and have someone advise you.

Another thing to try is the Bohning Serving Kit. It has a server, cable separator, string separator, serving thread (BCY .020 Polygrip) and a video that shows you how it's done, as well as how to serve in a peep. I bought that and thought it was a good package.

Good luck.

Ron

3. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

What he said....the thickness of the string has a lot to do with it if it's for center serveing.On 2 of my bows i use .22 dia in order to get the right nock fit-not to loose but not to tight.it will all vary.GL

4. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I have just recently started building and repairing my own strings and cables. Here is what was recommended to me.

BCY 452X string material.
    BCY #3D end serving material.
    BCY 62XS .018 braided center serving.

As far as where to purchase....Lancaster Archery Supply has everything under the sun.

I get my string material from a place called Shooters Edge.

5. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

I like .018, with a loop I don't worry about my arrow coming off, and I like to have very little nock tension.

Ben

6. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

Thant's exactly what I use too. :cool:

Ben

7. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

452X IMO is the best choice -- it was what has been recommended to me and I have never had a problem with having strings made from it.

As for the serving material I never paid attention to the type of material used :noidea:

8. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

Tried Brownell Diamondback at the recommendation of some guys from Lancaster Archery. This stuff is great!!!!!!!!!

9. Joe_P.

Joe_P. Senior Member

I make my strings with 22 strands of 452X, the center serving .021" diamond braid, and the end loops with 3D which is .017". Some times I will make a string with 20 strands and use .025" center serving.

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yup I like that stuff....:peace:

11. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

exactly !! Same here. I have found testing and playing w/ different sizes. That for Vapor Trail .018 works the best. Gives just a little tension. So I know its seated properly at all times..

12. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings New Member

Bow string serving depends alot on the application. I like 3d or halo for ends and angel majesty or powergrip for centers