Need the whole package!

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Bozwell, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Bozwell

Bozwell Rytera Rocks!

First just let me say that this is a great forum and is my first time posting here. Followed a link here a couple of days ago and have been enjoying it daily.

It's been 18 yrs since I've picked up a bow. Now I'm 50 yrs young and my son has taken up the sport and would like me to get back into it again so here I am looking for some advice/opinions. Technology has changed so much over time, I've spent the last couple of weeks researching the new bows, sights, arrows etc. and have put a "package" together in my head but would like your thoughts.

Bow: PSE BRUTE 50 - 60#
    Rest: Drop-away
    Sight: Fiber Optic (Cobra or Copper John)
    Arrows:Carbon w/100gr. Muzzy MX3

Any thoughts????

My main concern at this point would be the bow. This seems to be a very good bow for the money. Anybody here have any experience with this particular bow either good or bad? My main concern is that it is quick and quiet. Given my draw lenght is 29" and I'll be shooting a release, what kind of arrow speed can one expect with this setup at a 55# draw weight? Not sure what total arrow weight would be so I don't know if that would even be a valid question at this point.

Sorry to get so long winded here but there seems to be a wealth of knowledge on this board not to mention years of experience so I thank you in advance for you're input.

Half Draw

2. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

:welcome: half draw. Can't offer a whole lot of help, but i'm sure someone here will have an opinon.:welcome:

3. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

4. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

ok

are you bowhunting, 3D or indoor or all archery
    The PSE-Brute is a pretty good intry level bow
    But PSE has even a better 08 hunting bow at a cheaper price $299 the Stinger but with a short AL it is designed for hunting and treestands
    Its a better shooter to me than the brute.
    I would see if you can get your hands on one first if your bowhunting only.:biggrin1:
    And:welcome: to the forum.:wave:

5. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Welcome to the forum,
    I don't know much about the Brute, but Ken knows his PSE's
    I haven't shot the stinger yet...
    I like the Copper John line, and Muzzy is the way to go...
    As for arrows, I like Carbon Express Maximas
    and I shoot a Wisker Biscuit Rest on my hunting bow...

6. Bozwell

Bozwell Rytera Rocks!

Thanks for the info!

Funny that you should mention the Stinger. Called a shop the other day and they want me to shoot the Stinger as they felt it was a better shooting bow for the $$$

Thanks Again!!!

7. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

:welcome: to the forum! You'll find these people on here know a heck of a lot.

For under $300, I can't offer you much help, but a great bow that is on sale right now pretty much everywhere is the Fred Bear Truth. You can pick one up for about $400, and that thing will last you a lifetime. It is pretty quiet, super quick (considering the price) and is made by Bear, so you know it is durable as heck.

I'd recommend the Carbon Express Maxima's also...but make sure you get Blazer vanes on them. CX is known for their crappy gluing on the fletchings, so you'll either need to replace them right away, or you can get the HUNTERS that already come with them.

GOOD LUCK ON THE SEARCH!

8. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

this bow is top notch for the price... I have experience w/ that bow. bought one for my wife last year.very solid. decent speed at 304ibo rating. good brace height at 8.5". very forgiving and real quiet. you wont be disapointed...