Nervous!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by brandon45, May 15, 2008.

1. brandon45

brandon45 New Member

hey guys I'm new to the sport and continue having questions and doubts....
    my first question has to do with my bow, I bought a mathews fx2 60# 27" draw. When I got it I fell in love with how it feels looks and shoots but I'm afraid I'm not pulling enough poundage because it is really easy for me which is good but I want to know that I have enough power to take down a deer at 35-40 yds? Also is it bad to shoot about 100 times a day for the bow?

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

60# is plenty for deer. 100 shots a day wont hurt the bow, but I would pay close attention to your rotator cuffs. if you start getting sore I would back off a little.

3. brandon45

brandon45 New Member

I have never gotten sore in the least ever I work my back and shoulders out alot in the gym and a 60 # bow is nothing for me which is why I wish I went 70# but this bow feels incredible and if you guys think its enough to blow through big game I am happy

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

60# is plenty for deer and most game animals in North America...

5. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Member

I also agree with this statement..................

6. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

I shoot at 60# and my last 6 kills were pass throughs.

7. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

i have a Drenalin it was only 60 lb limbs when i got it. switched the limbs out to 70. made a difference but im still only at 67.

8. brandon45

brandon45 New Member

ou can just put diff limbs on to up the poundage? How much does it cost?

9. J.C.

J.C. New Member

If you got a dealer to order a new set from Mathews it would probably be about $125. you could probably find a used set in the ArcheryTalk classifieds for about half that and then pay your dealer a fee to change them out.

10. brandon45

brandon45 New Member

Do you think I should do it?

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I wouldn't, but thats your call. If you feel you need more draw weight then look for a set of limbs.:decision:

12. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

I haven't bow hunted in a while and I'm only just getting back into it, but I'll comment to you on a couple of bases:

1. The 60# bows of today have a LOT more KE than the 70# I used to deer hunt with. Missouri bucks aren't tiny by any means, and good I've seen a broadhead go through a shoulder to drop a buck on an OLD 70# bow.

2. I did much more rifle hunting...and I used to use 7mm magnum or 300 H&H...lots of power, but I finally found that a 44 mag rifle did the job just as well or better. Much less energy....but no suffering with almost immediate drops.

The more power MIGHT give you a bit more margin for error if you hit something solid and your shot is off, but I wouldn't bank on it. If you can shoot 60# tirelessly and you can hold it until you're bored (rather than fatigued) that means you'll be able to draw down on that once in a lifetime buck and hold it as long as is needed for your perfect shot to develop without losing shot integrity.

Good luck, and keep it fun!:peace:

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

60lbs max for me.......