New to forum and bowhunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by jcaho, Oct 11, 2006.

1. jcaho

jcaho Junior Member

Hello out there...

Just had my bow for a month or so now. I was shooting exclusively indoors at the range at 20 yards. Last week I sighted in at 30, 40 and 50 yards also. Should you ever attempt a shot at 50 yards? What is the maximum distance to shoot from?

I am shooting a matthews switchback xt at 60# draw weight, interested in hunting Texas whitetail deer and hogs--maybe turkey also.

Would anyone care to offer some advice to a newbie?

thanks
    jco

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

to be honest its whatever you are comfortable at and you need to set your own limits. A lot of people will say 30 yards, some will say 20 and some will say 40.

Personally I have my broadheads sighted in at 40 yards and will try to keep all mt shots under 30 yards if possible, but I have the 40 yard shot if I need it.

3. jcaho

jcaho Junior Member

thanks

for the advice. You know, those wonderful sights you buy that have 5 pins led me to believe I should use them for something!

I can hit accurately(in a practice scenario) at 50 yards but was concerned about penetration at that distance. I think with all the adrenaline flowing it prob isn't a good shot to take regardless.

thanks again...
    jco

4. Frank

Frank Member

I believe that each individual will have to set there own maximum shooting distance. This should be detemined by each individuals accuracy and concistancy. The key thing will be shot placement and quality and sharpness of arrows and broadheads. Personally I have set limits to 40 yards. That might have to be extended for antelope hunting in future. But that will be streched out to about 50 yrds possibly.

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

for 3-d, I set up all the pins.......but for hunting I either remove them all together or move them down out of the way, that way there not getting in my way.....I limit myself to 30-35 yrds max......this is bow hunting, the idea is to get them close.......

6. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

I use 10, 20, and 30 yd pins. really a 5 pin site for hunting is unnecessary and you may want to take some off if you can. As for distance I was always tought that a bow looses its effectiveness past 40 yards.

7. jcaho

jcaho Junior Member

Thanks for everybody's input--

Seems that a 50 yard shot, even if you could make it, is an unlikely one mainly due to variables associated with the animal itself. At 50 yards, it's a LONG way to the target and an eternity for the deer to do who knows what.

At least now I can move my extra pins out of the way! Thanks for the comments.

jcaho

8. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I can drill a target out to 50 yards pretty consistently but limit my shooting at game to 30 yards. Just too much can happen in the extra 20 yards I believe.:peace: