New to this

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by DragonHunter, Dec 30, 2006.

1. DragonHunter

DragonHunter Junior Member

I am fairly new to this but i actually think i got lucky. i ended up with an old onida tomcat for xmas. Tho i ended up taking it to a person that came highly recommended at a sporting good store to get the string replaced because the string was frayed badly. as he removed the string the bottom leaf fell totally off. I think i actually got lucky tho the Bow person there told me that he could fix it but it would cost more then it was worth. He ended up trading me a PSC? he had on the wall for it. Also taking the time to answer any question i had by pulling different bows off the wall and showing me what everything did. My question is how can i tell if he is trying to hustle me or what. also before he took the old string off he said the string was off center. and when he pulled the string back he said it was outa time.

My next question is do i need all the accesories and stuff to start out with . like stabalizer. fiber optic sights. a whisker biskit( whatever the hell that is), silencers. LIke i said im fairly new most of what i do know is more word of mouth from talking to people. any help would be appreciated. But im hoping i got lucky and found someone that is going to help me get a good start and actually not try and sell me every lil thing that is not needed of yet. at this point in time i am just wanting to learn to shoot and just target.

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Welcome to the forum...
    What PSE( just curious)?? Sounds like he has good intentions, but it can be hard to say. As long as he's not trying to sell you some high end bow you should be fine...Don't be afraid to ask questions...We'll help however we can...or not help...:laugh:
    Who is this guy??What I mean is, is it a small archery shop or a big sporting goods store??

Unless you shoot instinctively (bare bow) you will need some acc.
    Sight- most sights today are fiberoptic
    Rest-wisker biscuit is one type, also dropaways, prong, flipper....yadayada. You will have to try a few different types for yourself. A biscuit is a good rest to start with.
    Stabilizer- they help. You need to play with this alittle(you say target shooting) a longer stabilizer can help...for hunting or some 3D classes try to stay under 12" long...you can also adjust weight to balance the bow...
    Silencers- not needed for target

Hope this helps...Keep us posted...
    Ed

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Another point:

buy a couple of archery magazines...Doesn't really matter which ones...this may give you an idea of other peoples setups and what products are out there...Just a thought.

4. DragonHunter

i ended up with a pse eclipse. with stabalizer. fiber optic sights. i was told i needed limb absorbers.. not sure the rest i have all i know is that is NOT a whisker biskit. i also added a peep sight and kisser button. and its a small shop that the guy works at as the bow tec. any questions i have asked he has answered freely. from arrows to whatever.

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I have never heard of a PSE eclipse can you post a picture??

6. DragonHunter

this is it but pic suxs

7. DragonHunter

ok looks like i need to learn how to edit pics better .. sorry

8. welcome to archery:welcome: there are alot of choices out there. you will have to pick the ones you like best they all basicly do there job.some better than others but you'll find that out.the things you do need if your not shooting traditional (no sights no release aid ) is a good arrow rest (fall aways are the way to go) sights fiber optics are the way to go. here are some picks of just a handfull of products out there.dont let anyone push you into a bow or acsesory you dont want when you see the one you want you will feel it deep down in yourself. test shoot the bows your looking at or are interested in so you can feel how they shoot.you dont want a lot of vibration in the bow.as far as stableizer's go,no you dont need one but its better to have one,they take out the vibration out of the bow and they stable the bow out.shoot a bow with one then shoot one with,you'll see the difference:peace: the is alot of info in magizine thats where you'll learn alot,always ask if you dont know,and practice practice practice!!!
    oh ya and a release aid,it's kind of like a trigger on a gun.www.truball.com