Newbie Shooting Bear Bow Questions

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by willywin, Aug 25, 2006.

1. willywin

willywin Junior Member

Hello all!

Just started in archery. I have a buddy who is competition level archer. He said something about me having to shoot fingers and not a release on my Bear i am buying off another friend. I have zeroed with fingers and have no problems but i also shot some with a release and didn't see a difference. Does someone have an explination for why i would have to shoot fingers for this bow. I have ordered a release anyway for my upgrade next year if not for this. Also any hunters out there have any recommendations for a good fairly cheap broadhead to use for deer. I am starting to rack up quite a bill trying to get ready for the season and need to save where i can. Uncle Sam isn't that generous with his paychecks :)) . Thanks.

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

The only reason you wouldn't be able to shoot a release is if there is nothing on the string (no nock point or loop) Other then that any bow can be shot with a release. Is it a Fred Bear Recurve bow?

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

:welcome:

Ditto, if it's a compound you should have no problem with a release. The only thing I can add is, check the nocking point I set the nock 1/4" higher for fingers, so you may want to put a square on it.

*I have had bows that you can't shoot fingers on because of finger pinch(too short ATA) but not the other way around

Ed

4. willywin

willywin Junior Member

Thanks, It is a compound not a recurve. I am going to go ahead and shoot a release on it. I should get it in today and will go see if it make any difference.