Nocturnal Bucks

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by tnts79, Nov 6, 2007.

1. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

The golden question, how do you draw out nocturnal bucks? Mock scrapes seem to work, but the big guys never bite on them. Mabey decoys are the next step!

2. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

This has been a fool proof method for me....I always take a doe during the Rut(gun season) and i always carry a couple of those small eye drop bottles(kind that's got the little dropper that sucks it up out of the bottle) and when feild dressing her i fill the bottles with her urine.....I've had bucks come straight to this......nothing works better than the real thing...jmo

3. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

How do you do that?

4. IChim2

whatcha mean.

5. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

How do you get the urine? Remove the bladder then drain the contents into your jar? Shot 2 does never thought to keep the urine:frusty:

6. IChim2

Yep....just be careful not to contaminate(sp) it with other body fluids.Sometimes there's not much in there....but most the time there is.Make sure that the bottle/dropper is verry clean...i keep rinseing mine in hot tap water till i feel that it is.I use those small cotton ball's to put it on and when i'm done hunting i put it all back into a small ziploc baggie and put it in the refrig when i get home....or you can cut off her back scent glands and use them instead of the CB's...just keep everything cool as possible.

7. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I guess I will have to try that next time I let the air out of a doe. Thanks for the tip!:rockon:

8. IChim2

GL....i've always had good luck after the gun season(we can't bow hunt here during gun season)when the bucks are still looking for hot does.Don't have a lot of big bucks where i hunt....so any that comes to it works for me....Doe's will come to it also.

9. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Wish I would have though about that before buying code blue for $8-$10 for 1.5 ounces!:frusty:

10. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

Rattling antlers near their bedroom has worked for me.

11. IChim2

I've always been leery of that store bought stuff...don't waste my money on it and i'm not saying it won't work.....but a lot of machines come into contact with that stuff...new plastic bottles smell like plastic....stuff is made in factories and come's in to contact with worker's...etc...list of things can go on....has to be some kind of additive in it to preserve shelf life.:noidea:

12. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I think some rattling is in order, and the next doe I shoot will get drained! The place is tore up with sign but its mostly nightime activity, hunting pressure on the neighboring ground is ridiculous!:frusty: Take a look at the trail cam pics thread, had a little go round with CSS,:frusty: anyway thanks for the tips.

13. IChim2

Not to change the topic...but how is it illegel to hunt where there's salt....never heard of salt being concidered bait.

14. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Salt licks or mineral licks are considered baiting in Illinois. But you can hunt over standing crops all season long and food plots???? I think it was done to prevent the spread of diseases like CWD.

15. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

The law is the same in Indiana.

16. IChim2

Man....i'm glad i live in Mo. they just leave us alone and let us hunt.

17. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

It's Illinois for ya! Bunch of tree huggers in office.:frusty: I would rather have some kind of antler restriction, like 3 on a side or something like that, Illinois would have a lot more bruisers!

18. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Indiana is 3" on one side but they only allow one buck pre hunter through all seasons. The one buck rule has increased the quality and quantity of bucks in my area. That's my take on it.

19. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Try to get clost to their bedroom and hit the doe in estrus can call. I don't know how many bucks have come in to that call. Big ones on the other hand, not many, but it's worth a try.

20. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Illinois has a two buck per year rule in place. If it were down to one that would greatly improve the #/quality of bucks! Too many horn hunters out there, letting does walk instead of deflating them. First 3 weeks of the season is doe time, then I hold off for pretty much most of november if the weather is right for bucks, then in the late season its game on for does again. I would like to shoot at least 2 more does and mabey a buck if I see one big enough....130+ on public ground, 140-150+ on private ground. Everything else walks.