Not too concerned with speed but....

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Onyx Z, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

I just bought myself a new Fred Bear Instinct. I was at the range the other day and checked the speed with a chrono someone had. I'm pulling 70 lbs., 28" draw, 340 gr. aluminum arrows, through a whisker biscuit. It was only shooting 230 fps. I was expecting at least 250 or so. Just a guess, with a 30" draw it would shoot around 250 fps. or so. Does anyone know what are the Instinct's are shooting on average?

Someone at the range told me going to carbon arrows would net me 50-60 fps. But if they are 340 gr. aluminum vs. 340 gr. carbon, wouldn't the speed be the same for both?

FWIW, I could care less about speed for hunting, I want more speed for the bragging rights.:biggrin1:

2. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

As long as that puppy will put tha meat in tha skillet who cares.

Just a bunch of hype

How many deers did tha Indians take with there slow bows:cool:

3. Mepperson

Mepperson Junior Member

Shoot it through another chronograph before you change anything, that sounds way too slow for your poundage and arrow weight.

4. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

I agree about trying it again through another chrono....but the 28" dl hurts a little....even though his arrows are light.but that does seem a little slow for that bow.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  5. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

I am a bity suspicious on the 340 grain aluminum arrow. Do you have the right arrow weight? That is a bit slow for that bow. What shafts are you shooting?

6. IChim2

Thats good heads up on the arrow wght....wonder what alum arrows he's using.

7. IChim2

Can you give us the numbers on the arrows..340grains sound light for an alum.Is 340 the total wght including fp.If so....take away 100grains for fp and that leaves 240grains for a alum-arrow,insert,nock and vanes...something don't seem right.:noidea:

8. J.C.

J.C. New Member

probably a 340 spine deflection instead of 340 grain weight. :noidea:

9. IChim2

it's 12:05 am...i thought i was the only one up.

10. J.C.

J.C. New Member

you were. I logged off and went to bed right after that post. :D

11. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Thats extremly light for a hunting arrow, aluminum or otherwise. Thats underweight for shooting out of a Fred Bear and if any damage occurs they may not honor the warranty.

I would guess you're arrow weight is closer to 500 grains which would explain the speed.

12. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

13. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Yeah sounds like he's got his numbers mixed up....

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

mixed up....it happens:frusty:

15. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

Well, I kinda half-a$$ weighted them with a gun powder scale, they were all around 340 gr total weight, I'm sure I weighed them wrong though. I thought it was kinda light as well. It was kinda hard to weigh them since they are a little longer than the little bowl for the powder. :frusty: I'll have to find a scale designed for arrows and see what numbers I get. I'm using Easton 2314 XX75 al. arrows at 28.5" w/ blazer vanes.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  16. J.C.

J.C. New Member

did you have the points installed when you weighed them? :noidea:

17. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

Yes, it was a complete arrow. But I'm not sure how accurate the scale is.

I checked the Easton website for arrow weights. A 29" XX75 bare shaft weighs ~340 gr. So I'm guessing my arrows actually weigh ~460 gr. complete.

18. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

I reweighed them again, came out to 480 gr. There was another little cup (~150 gr.) that goes on the scale. It was on the reloading desk instead of in the box. :doh:

Isn't it about 1-2 fps per 5 gr. arrow weight?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007