OK theoratical question for hunters and hunting supporters...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by beenfarr, Dec 12, 2007.

1. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

When you kill a deer do you feel weird about driving home with it?

Here's why I ask. I was driving to work today, and saw a guy with a 4-wheeler in a trailer behind his truck. I see a couple deer legs sticking out next to the 4 wheeler. Due to the orientation of the deer, I couldn't tell if it were a buck or doe. I pull next to the guy and honk at him, and he seemed hesitant to look over as if I was some crazy Anti wanting to flip him the bird. He finally looked over and I gave him a thumbs up and a manly nod, and was on my way.

Then I got to thinking how he seemed ashamed, or nervous to haul his kill home. :noidea: Sometimes when I'm transporting a dead deer in the back of a truck (never across the hood or anything like that) I feel like people are judging me poorly too, so I guess I have a little bit of that in me also. Maybe it's where I live?

Just wondering your thoughts. :peace:

Ben

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

we had a couple of threads about this a couple weeks back.......I know exactly how you and the guy felt......its the areas we live in and the times we live in.....I dont need to anounce it to the world when i get a deer......:noidea:

3. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

unless it has a huge rack!!

4. SinGin

SinGin Banned

I drive with the tailgate down for every one to see. I'm thinking of getting some fireman lights for my truck so I can draw extra attention to myself. I am NOT ashamed at all.

5. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

Last one I shot I folded him up in the trunk of my Grand Marquis! :lol: I didn't want to tie him to the trunk. I really need to get a truck again!

Ben

6. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

Put the lights on the deer! :biggrin1:

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

here we go again........here are my thoughts........that kid in the car next to you.....you know the one who's trying decide how they will live there life.....
    the very impressionable youth......he/she sees Bambi dead with its tounge hanging out and blood running everywhere......

they turn there head to not look at it and see one grazing peacefully in the yard to the right, and you have just turned that kid and there closest freinds against hunters, FOREVER........

8. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

now that's a dedicated hunter :lol:

9. SinGin

SinGin Banned

Just cut the tounge out. There solved that problem. Seeing the deer that people shot when I was young made me want to get out there and get one myself. You are not always going to make eveyone happy in this world so just make yourself happy

10. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I have a durango with a deer hauler on the back so I can't really hide it too much, but I take it straight from the woods to our cooler. If I had a truck I would try to tuck in their nice as to not offend anyone. Shouldn't have to feel this way but there is really no sense in having a bloody deer hanging all over the place for everyone to see. On the other hand the 10 point I got this year was on top of my brothers 4 wheeler that was in the back of his truck for everyone to see. But it was tastefully done.

11. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I once tied a deer onto the hood of my Olds. It was all I had. Now I would call a buddy with a truck.

BAMBI........taste good.:rockon:

12. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

I don't feel bad about someone by chance seeing I've got a deer in the back of my truck. I put the deer in the back of my truck (tailgate up btw) and if someone sees it they see it. I never give it a second thought. :noidea:

13. Shortshaft

Shortshaft Member

Untill checked in and tagged we by law have to display a portion of the deer. I had a woman blow the horn to get my attention and she had her two young kids 6-8? give me the finger. :doh: I think we don't have to worry about them!

14. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

Same here. I dont advertise but I am in no way ashamed or hesitant for someone else to see it.

15. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

I do not hide the deer, but I do not flaunt it either.

If people do not want to see dead deer during deer season, than go work for Hillary.

16. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Honestly around here nobody thinks twice about seeing a deer in somebody's vehicle. It's very rural and hunting is just another way of life. Nobody has ever said anything to me or anyone I know that lives here. I have found out thru the internet that it is alot bigger deal in some areas than others and it seems the closer you get to more populated areas the bigger deal it becomes. I am just glad I live where I do....:amen:

17. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I don't worry about transporting my deer...alot of people hunt...so others are pretty used to seeing deer on trailers and in trucks, etc...

I do get a dirty look every now and then from a neighbor about hanging deer in the yard...:evil:

but New Paltz is the next town over and it is a liberal hot bed...They HATE us!!!:laugh:

18. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

I would guess about 99% of the people around here hunt or have family members that hunt, so its not a problem. Could imagine being ashamed of someone seeing my deer.

19. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

Every deer I've ever shot was in a cooler that same day, we skin it, take what we want and throw the carcass, entrails, etc. away for the raccoons and everything else to eat. We put the head in a trash bag so it doesn't get blood all over the place.

Personally, I think driving home with a full-on, full-bodied deer in the back of your truck for the world to see is kinda redneck. :doh: I'd never do it.

20. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I don't think some of us have a kitchen or cooler big enough in the mountains :noidea: :laugh: