Old matthews fan, havent shot in a while- looking for a new bow

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by mystic1219, Jan 3, 2008.

1. mystic1219

mystic1219 New Member

I shot 3-D EVERY weekend while I was in high school, but I joined the military in 2004 and have been completely out of the archery world for a couple of years. I just got back into shooting, but am not up to date on all I have missed out on.
    I am shooting a Matthews SQ2 now (had it for a while). I am wanting to get back into some semi-serious 3D shooting, and also spend some time in the woods hunting. I havent decided for sure, but I think I may want to upgrade bows. When I left the sport, Matthews was the only bow to shoot, and Bowtech was evolving pretty fast. I did get to shoot a Switchback while I was home on leave a while back, and I was impressed with it. It would take alot to turn me away from matthews, but it might be possible. Im pretty set on them though and really am looking for the best bow they make for mostly tournaments, but still suitable for hunting. I shoot a 29" draw and 70lbs. I like the switchback XT. I am not going to pay ~$700-800 for a new bare bow so a used XT is kind of what I have my eye on. Any suggestions?

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Welcome to the site and thanks for your military service!!

You are gonna get about 50 opinions as to which bow is better and which you should go buy. Best advice is to go shoot several and see what feels the best in your hand. Mathews makes great bows and probably were at the top in 1994, but alot has changed since then. Everyone makes a great product now and it really boils down to how the bow fits you.

Having said that, I would recommend that you try out the Martin MOAB and Firecat if you decide to shoot several bows. You will be pleasantly surprised at the performance and the price tag.....

Good luck!

3. vonottoexperience

vonottoexperience Senior Member

A used Hoyt Ultratec or 38 Ultra/ Pro 38 would fit the bill nicely, great all around bow :rockon:

4. NerdHick

NerdHick New Member

Stick with the Switchback or the XT, can't go wrong there! I know a guy with a used Switchback for sale, just got it in on trade...nice bow...depending on your DL may need a new cam...

5. new bow

Just remember if the company name doesn't start with an E or M you're looking the wrong way.
    Welcome home and good shooting.

6. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

if i was looking for more of a hunting bow, a mathews will work, they have a lower end brand called mission as well if you dont want to spend big bucks. If I was looking for an all around rig where you plan to do some casual target as well...Hoyt, and theyre are some good used deals thru ebay and such. Hoyts are the best built bow out there.

7. mystic1219

mystic1219 New Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I figured on getting a lot of diffrent opinions, I just wanted to see how many of them overlapped. Hoyt seems to get talked about alot. I am going to go shoot a few bows probably this weekend. Keep the inputs coming.

8. vonottoexperience

vonottoexperience Senior Member

Get Serious, Get Hoyt :peace: :amen:

9. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Most popular doesn't always mean best quality. Do yourself a favor and shoot several and make your own decision. :rockon:

10. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I double what he said!!!!! :thumb:

Don't go with advertsing and shoot as many as you can!

11. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

another bow manufacturers dealer speaks. You will see more Hoyt at any competition than any other, compound or recurve. quality of many brands limbs is dubious.

12. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I love my XT!!!:hug:
    Hope you find one you like

13. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I'm not a dealer and I shoot a Hoyt!!!!! :D

14. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I was a Martin shooter before I was a dealer there knuckle head. Don't start your crap again......:mad:

You've once again stated a fact based on nothing. I've seen far more Mathews bows than Hoyts at every shoot I've been to which includes two Bedford IBO shoots attended by a couple thousand archers. I worked the registration tents and watched hundreds of shooters walk by. Hoyt was not in the hands of the majority. Does that mean Mathews is better? Not to me. It means they spend more advertising money than Hoyt...

Martin makes their own limbs and has for a long long time. Nothin' better about Hoyts. They make a great product too, but you are talking in absolutes again when all you speakin is your opinion......:loco:

15. mystic1219

mystic1219 New Member

I am going to shoot several, definatly to include the XT and a Hoyt or two, I was just seeing what you guys liked so I know what to go shoot. Thanks again. I started out with Clearwater (anyone even remember when they were big? lol), then did the High Country thing for a while before switching to matthews. I had a Matthews Z-Max and will have to say that I liked it better than I do my much newer SQ2. Im not all about following advertising, I want what feels good to me, so Im defintaly going to try several before I buy one.

16. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

:thumb: :thumb:

Happy shopping!!!

17. you've got a lot of bows to pick from, I don't think you can really say any one Bow manufacturer is better then any other. It is going to come down to which one fits and feels best to you when shooting. If there was one bow manufacturer that was hands down better in all the price ranges then any of the others then there would only be one. I would hit more then one pro shop and try all the bows that are in your price range, if you don't want to spend more then a set amount don't shoot any bows that are above that price, you might find yourself spending more then you planned to.

18. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

:rockon: get'em jc........

19. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I agree shoot alot of bows before deciding. Of course I personally think the SB XT 29" 70# is the perfect bow. Because I been shooting one for almost 2 years now. Good Luck and :welcome: to the forum.

20. mystic1219

mystic1219 New Member

Whats SB? Sorry im a nOOb on this forum