Opinions on D-loop

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Colo_Lee, May 6, 2007.

1. Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee Senior Member

Opinions on D-loop
    Rope verses metal D-loop’s what are the pros and cons of the two?

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Metal loops - horrible.

3. hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 Senior Member

rope = :biggrin1:
    metal = :nono:

seriously, i dont know of any advantages of the metal d-loops :noidea:

4. Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee Senior Member

lol that explanes a lot .....not Why are they horrible

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Metal loops are noisy, they slow your string down, they evibrate, they loosen and they really suck when you drop one of those friggin little screws.......

Metal loops should be outlawed they really suck....

6. Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee Senior Member

Now that was helpful thank u Bowman

7. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

metal d-loop

Thats all i use is a metal d-loop now.
    Dry fired when rope broke twice & one broke on a nice buck.
    The only disadvantages on the metal d-loop, i think is if you dont use a rotating head on your release.
    disadvantages on rope:i work on about 30 regular archers bows they all switched to metal d-loop but one who shoots paper only!:biggrin1:

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I've never had a string loop snap on me...

I have witnessed metal loops turning on their own, dropping screws, breaking, and moving. the Turning is the most common, this also makes it very hard if you use a peep as it will not turn correctly the next time you shoot.

A properly tied string loop made from good material shouldn't fail.

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

VERY WELL SAID...........:amen:

10. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Along with what the others have said, the biggest problem with the metal loops that I have see, on occasion, is that at the upper or lower end of the loop an acute string angle against the rather sharp edge has caused strings to break. Usually under the serving whre it is unseen. So all of a sudden things go "POW" and you are left with a pile of junk in your hand. A dangerous situation to say the least.

I've also seen them bet the hell out of cables. Again, not good.

I've never seen a rope loop fail, meaning just snap. Yes, if not installed right a knot can come loose, but one punch in the mouth and you learn to install them correctly. They should neve just break from the release jaws as if there is a rough spot on the release it will tend to fray the loop and at least you can see this if you pay any kind of attention to your equipment.

In short, there are NO pro's to the metal loop.

11. Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee Senior Member

kbo

how noisy are metal loops?
    have u got any tricks to keep them from turning or slipping like using a pace of latex to help stop them from turning or putting a nock on to help keep them from slipping as far as screws loosing that is a prety simple fix

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

most wont have tricks cus we wont use them!!!!

13. Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee Senior Member

Bfisher
    thank u for your input u answered one of my concerns there

14. Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee Senior Member

:pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:

15. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

In all honesty bud unless you already have one and are not willing to go change I would strongly encourage you to not go with a Metal loop. Everyone I know that has ever used one has gone back to either rope/string loop or began shooting off the string.

The "Noise" was never an issue I saw or heard although that is kind of surprising as it is metal on metal but I've never heard of it.

16. Colo_Lee

Colo_Lee Senior Member

Dredly

nope i haven't decided yet on which one to get. I only used a release and a d-loop for the first time the other day when i compared some bows before that i used a tab with calf hair so d-loops and release are new to me

17. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Definately go with a string d-loop. you will not be disappointed and welcome to the modern age of archery :)

18. Allen

Allen Senior Member

A properly tied string loop won't break suddenly. It might begin to fray if you have a burr on your releases, but it won't suddenly fail unless it was put on wrong.

The metal loops are heavier, which decreases your speed and if it ever fails, you have several little metal pieces moving quite fast and very near your eye. I've never seen one fail, because no one that I know uses one, but I won't shoot next to someone who is using one.

One other thing, the metal loops will scratch the jaws of your release. If a release has been used with metal loops, don't use them on string loops.

19. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I agree with Allen 100%. I tried to use a metal loop a year and a half or so ago and had a multitude of problems, including ruining the jaws on a release I had at the time. Those little parts also tend to work loose and I had issues with the nocking point moving, ever so slowly. They are also not cheap and if you lose one of the screws while your on a 3d shoot or something you're mor or less out of luck unless you carry spare parts... I'd probably never go back to them.

Ron

20. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

D-loop

It seems like im all alone down here on the metal d-loop issue!
    I have been shooting rope loops about 15 years.
    Ive shoot metal d-loop when they first came out about 5 to 10 years now.
    I have never had one!
    1:fall apart & throw little metal pieces in my eye!
    2:Cut a serving not even tear a serving.
    3:get a bur on them and mess a relese up!
    The only way they could get a bur is if the release is already damaged:doh:
    It has been proven (with excelerator balls) If you add something heavier on your string it will make string travel faster. whoever sad it will slow your bow down prove it mine didnt change!
    Your thinking about puff silincers or spiderlegs that weigh nothing & catch the wind yes they do slow string travel down.
    The metal d-loop weighs nothing pick one up and see & the screws dont back out as long as u use the plastic gaskets that are supplied with it that pinch the parts down tight,never had a screw back out.
    PROS:In a hunting situation when your watching a deer come inthey are the greatest for you dont have to look down to hook it in you can feel it.
    CONS:they do turn on the string if:your string has a lot of twist,it is new & hasnt had time to stretch.
    When you first put it on shoot it awhile after it has turned if it does,loosen it set it back stright and it shouldnt turn again.
    Rope D-loop,Metal-d-loop, its a matter of prefrence!
    WE could go on & on all day with this,Like i love PSE and the rest of this forum Loves Bowtech & hoyt & they hate pse because the fly apart & are junk! <<<<<<<<<<<< you deside ford or chevy >>>>>>>>>