Our Moving target

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Hiawatha, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Hiawatha

Hiawatha Junior Member

We have a 20 target 3D range here in NE GA and are always looking for something to be different. So this year I decided to put up a moving target. The video isn't great and the deer looks alot faster in the video than in person, but is this ever a cool shot at 20yds. I trigger the deer with a string at my foot and the backstop catches my arrow for me. Since I put this up I've learned alot about shooting moving targets. I can hit it alot better now that I've got to practice. It was my 3rd shot before I could hit it.

Have any of you tried shooting at moving targets???
    This is my first, you've got to lead the target by almost 6 inches to get a good kill shot.
    Click on this hot link to check it out:
    http://hiawathahillsarcheryrange.com/Don shooting@moving deer.mpg

2. Heavyhaul

Heavyhaul Member

That is a neat idea. I learned alot shooting a rifle at one at a cub. Was that hard to built?

3. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Yeah H those are a very cool shoot. we have a club up here that has one and do I ever enjoy it. Thanks for the pics, HS

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

yup, shot the famous "Running Deer". very difficult shot.

I'm working on a little side project that will be awesome when I'm done and may involve moving targets ;P

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

hush hush........

6. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

Oh great.... Dredly's gone "Secret Squirell" on us..... can't wait to see what that think tank comes up with...:tape: :biggrin1:

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

the think tank?????

thats not really what I would call it......

secret squirell????

thats great...hey chris could you change dredly's user name to secret tree rat????

8. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

It's a little hard to convey sarcasim over the web. "think tank" was intended as sarcasim.
    Secret tree rat!!!!! or STR for short! :tape: :biggrin1:

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

same here I think......:noidea:

10. Holy Smokes

:pound: :pound: Thats to funny boys.
    Dreadly you had better be careful they are teaming up on ya. Course it take 2 or 3 good men to get a good man hun dread. :biggrin1: HS

11. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

ummm... what? Something about you calling me Hun and telling me to find a good man worries me a bit :Cry:

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

You might have to define sarcasm...Keep the words small next time..:biggrin1:

13. Holy Smokes

Don't get noe ideas big guy. You ain't made right. That was postta to be a h not a n. Anyway that would have been Hon. Also a down was to be typed too.
    And I thought only Billys didn't know thier letters., HS

14. Hiawatha

Hiawatha Junior Member

I'll try to post some still picts sometime. It took 65$ for hardware and a long drill bit I didn't have. I already had the cable and the target.

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

wow did we hyjack that one or what????

16. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, that's cool. One of our local hunting clubs have something like that on their 3D course. There is an old car wheel fastened to a post that free-wheels. You wind the cord on the wheel and let the wheel go, draw, and fire away. It's a tough shot for sure.

Ron

17. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I've shot moving targets with a recurve but I think with a compound it could cause some trigger punchin. ??Can you use back tension on a moving target???:noidea:

Sounds like the guys around here are hijacking and getting ready for some good old TAG TEAM WRESTLING.:peace:

18. Hiawatha

Hiawatha Junior Member

Yea, it got off topic for a minute.
    We made it an optional shot next to a groundhog for that reason. Though I've never shot a back tension, I imagine it's tough, but you got an extra 5 pnts for sticking an arrow in it ( makes a 5 a 10 ). I don't know if anyone tried.
    I don't feel like I'm punchin' the trigger when I shoot it ( I may be ). I'll pay more attention next time.

19. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

On the moving target out here you can use a back-tension however you still need to lead-off the target so there's a couple of things going on that can mess you up. You probably have 3-4 seconds to get the shot off before the target goes behind trees...

The first time I went to this place I led the target off a little too much and stuck the shot in a tree. You have a propensity to either go for the vitals or just hit the thing. If you go for the vitals it's easy to lead-off the target too much and 'WHACK !' -> Arrow in tree... Makes it fun though. A laugh a minute... I love being in groups that have not seen that before...
    :laugh:

That place's first 'target' is a pair of frogs, one attached to each end of a 3 foot wooden beam that's attached at the center to a motor that runs around 20-25 rpm. You have to sit on a cooler, put your foot on the motor switch to start the frogs spinning, and then shoot. You shoot 2 arrows, one at each frog. You score the better of the 2 arrows. That's another hoot to watch somebody that's never done that before. It's also the first of 40 targets in the 3D range and it really gets your attention. The frogs are about 10 yards away. The first time I saw it I was laughing so hard I couldn't draw the bow. I had to let a couple of people go through me/us so I could get my composure...

I'd like to see somebody try a BT release on that sucker...
    :laugh:

Ron

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  20. Hiawatha

Hiawatha Junior Member