paper tune

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by cowboy50, Mar 6, 2008.

1. cowboy50

cowboy50 New Member

hey there guys how would you paper tune a bow if you can't hang up the target and paper.if you just had your target on the groud

2. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Can you set your target on top of something?

3. cowboy50

cowboy50 New Member

yeah but how would i hang the paper and how far do i hang it away from the target and how far do i stand away from the paper when i shoot

4. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

you can make a hanger out of pvc or wood for the paper. I use wax paper my self and I would put it in front of the target heck up to 3 feet in front or a little more. You stand 6 feet away from paper. If checking nock point you get as close to it as you can. hope this helps.

5. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

I just built a simple stand out of some conduit that has a paper holder in front of it. The paper is far enough away that the arrow passes all the way through before hitting the target. We set the rack on the work bench in the shop, which gives us a good straight shot through the paper.

6. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

If you just got a target setting on the ground and about 20 to 30 yards to play with I would just walk back tune and forget about the paper tuning.

7. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I just had a thought :dizzy: :D

You can build one like these guys will tell ya OR you can go down to your local fabric store and buy one of the hoops that people embroider with, you can get them in lots of different sizes. Then just put the paper in like you would fabric. ****I don't know if this will work, it is just an idea

8. jkcerda

jkcerda the GOON squad POSEE

thats a pretty good Idea actually.

now you can build a base for paper tuning on the cheap as well, just use PVC pipe & glue it, use elbows to get your 90 deg.

i saw 2-4 FT away from the paper should be more than enough.

9. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

This just proves what an innovative bunch we archers are. Pretty good idea. Now come up with a mounting system to get it off the ground. I'm listening even though I don't usually paper tune.

10. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

Find an old door with a window. Remove the glass or cut a hole at eye level, if its a solid door.Cut it 24 x 24 inches or whatever size hole you desire, keeping in mind a sheet of newsaper will be taped or tacked over the opening. For legs, cut 4) 2 X 2's about 3 feet or whatever lengh nessessary to provide enough support to make the door stand. Cut a 45 angle on each end. Pre drill holes and attach with 3 inch all purpose screws. If you're as lazy as I am you may just screw an old kitchen chair to the back of the door instead of making the legs. I set my target on top of an upside down 55 gallon barrel. Boards or whatever can be placed under the target to adjust height. The door may also be trimmed at the bottom to desired height, before attaching the legs. (Yes, I'm a hillbilly at heart.) I learned to paper tune by reading a book by Larry Wise on "Tuning Your Compound Bow". I place the target 3 or 4 feet behind the paper so I don't have to move anything to remove the arrows. I start out about 3 yards back from the paper, and when I'm happy with the tune there I move back and repeat the process at 5 and then 7 or 8 yards. For further info on tuning I suggest searching the web for "Bow Tuning." I found diagrams and pictures showing what paper tears mean and likely adjustments to make to correct problems. I hope this helps.

11. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

amen...paper tuning stinks!

12. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

Ive used a cardboard box before. Cut out a 10x8 inch hole in it. Tape a peice of paper over the opening. Place the box a few feet in front of your target and fling away. Also larger gift boxs work great. I use the lower part only. Cut a hole in the bottom. They are strong enough to stand on their own. Lots of ways to do it. Ive also used shoe boxes.

13. or you could save your self some money and get a couple of your friends to hold the paper up for while you shoot at it:noidea: :lol:

Or you could go with one of the ideas mentioned above:wave: :lol:

14. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

[​IMG]

I like the pvc idea better myself...:D

15. jkcerda

jkcerda the GOON squad POSEE

thats pretty good & on the cheap.

16. cowboy50

cowboy50 New Member

yeah thanks guys this really helps and what is a nother way to tune your bow with out the paper

17. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

walk back tuning is the best way.

18. steve bear

steve bear Member

we did that once.....got yealed at & call names......:tape:

19. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

There's bare shaft tuning, walkback or French, broadhead tuning. You can check a few other websites such as Hunter's Friend, but what you should be looking for is a copy of Easton Archery's Tuning Guide. It covers all this stuff in layman's terms.

For French tuning there's a guy goes by the user name of Nuts&Bolts on Archery Talk that has devised a shortened version that works pretty well. I think you only need about 10 yards to do it.

20. UPSTATE

UPSTATE Member

Grab a couple of branches and pound them in the ground. Duck tape newspaper to them and have your target far enough behind the paper so the arrow goes through. Also don't expect a perfect hole, it will drive you crazy.