Pendulum Sights???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by chainsawlaskowski, Oct 8, 2007.

1. chainsawlaskowski

chainsawlaskowski Junior Member

Does anyone use a "pendulum" style sight on their bow. I hunt primarily in the Midwest (Wisconsin & when i draw a tag, Iowa). I seldom get a shot past 30 yds. I have heard that most pendulum sights are good from 0 - 30 yards out. I shoot a left hand bow so I would need one that would fit. If you have tried one, did you like it or go back to a traditional sight with 3 or more pins? Thanks! Jeff

2. Carphunter

Carphunter Junior Member

from what I understand.. pendulum or "treestand" sights basically help the archer who drops their bow hand when shooting at targets below their feet....as opposed to bending at the waist so that their bow arm/shoulders are in a straight line pointing at the target.

I've hunted and practiced a lot from treestands, and have found as long as I bend at the waist and do not drop my bow hand, my flat-yardage pin is still correct for shooting down.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007

3. chainsawlaskowski

I didn't ever hear that the pendulum sights were for those who had problems dropping their arm. It could very well be. I thought that they were a sight that eliminated the need for more than one pin, and were supposed to be a very accurate sight. I hunt from trees 95% of the time. I've never had a "problem", I just like to try to simplify things when possible. The reason that I'm asking for input from anyone who uses them, is that years ago, I knew a guy that swore by the one he used but, unfortunatly he moved away and we lost contact. Thanks! Jeff

4. Buckwheat

Buckwheat Member

I've used one for the past 5 years and love it. it takes all the guess work out of the shot. I recently went to a "Sumit Hot Dot" The deluxe model can work as either a pendulum sight or as a 3 to 6 pin fixed sight. The only complaint I have had with my other sight is noise. The savage pendulum sight I was using was very noisey. Good luck in your search.:peace:

5. chainsawlaskowski

Hey Buckwheat! Thanks!
    I was figuring that if they worked like I heard that they do, you wouldnt need to guess if the deer is 20, 25, or 30 yards away. I have normally set my pins at 10 yard intervals and it was those in between shots that are a little tricky! I am seriously thinking of picking one up and trying it. Now I just have to find out if Summit makes one for left hand bows. Thanks Again! Jeff

6. Buckwheat

Buckwheat Member

The Hot Dot will work for either left or right hand. It comes setup for right hand but you remove 2 screws and you can swap it over to left hand. The sighting in looks complicated but when you read thru it it's really simple.

7. chainsawlaskowski

Hey Buckwheat!
    I picked up one of the Summit "Hot Dot" sights last night at Gander Mountain. I'll try to find some time after work today to install it and sight it in. It looks like a great concept. I bought the Pendulum only sight. I called the factory and talked with a guy there who uses the sight. He said that he has the one with the fixed pin option, but never uses it. He said that the pendulum works out to around 35 yards and that covers pretty much everything he is shooting at. I would agree with that. I know some guys - especially out west, shoot a lot further than that, but where I hunt, it's pretty difficult to even see past 35 yards. I am in the woods 95% of the time and it's next to impossible to see tiny branches etc. that might get in the way of your arrow past that. Anyway, THANKS for getting back to me about the Summit sight. I didn't even know about it until you mentioned it. I'll get back to you later and let you know how it worked out.

Good Luck to you this season!
    Jeff