Picked up some meat today

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by tnts79, Jan 10, 2008.

1. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

76 lbs. for a total of $170.06/about $2.25 per lb. (Jalepeno/Cheese Sausage, Brats and slimsticks) I give roughly half of my processed goodies to the landowners that let me hunt. That's the least I do, if someone lets me hunt they know they have my assistance anytime they need it. What do the rest of you do with all the bums that want meat? If you be the nice guy and give it away they keep asking for more, if you charge them the processing you are just out the work you put in getting the deer in the first place. What do you other hunters do?

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I am the only one in my house that will eat venison so I give about 95% of the deer I kill to the landowner and needy family's. I do all my own processing because I enjoy doing it. The first deer of the year goes to the landowner and then after that I have several people that will take them with the understanding that if they want it processed by me or whoever that it's there responsibility to take care of that. If I process it I just charge them for the supplies I use I don't charge for the actual processing. But Like I said I enjoy doing it and helping people at the same time...:noidea:

3. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Having the recipient pay for processing is pretty much the standard, except for when it comes to landowners, whatever they want is free. You can never be too nice to people that let you hunt!

4. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Oh 1 other thing I forgot to mention is if I am doing the processing they come and help all the thru to the cleanup...:rockon: :rockon:

5. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I have a brother who hunts about 5 or six times a year and seems to never get anything. Yet, he is always asking me for more meat. My other brother doesn't hunt at all and is always asking for meat, but he is always there to help drag a deer out and help cut it up. Guess who gets more meat.

6. Shortshaft

Shortshaft Member

I give the land owner a package of steaks (that's all he wants every year) I used to bring in meat for people I work with but it got out of hand. I had one guy we called "Dick the snitch" always whining that I never gave him any of the "deers meat" so you know what he got from the 189lbs rut buck I shot.:rockon: He never asked agin. I don't know why. All the women wanted to know if it was salty??:noidea:

7. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

We a group took 20 deer from our farm. We will use every bit of it.

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

If its a paid for processing type deal I expect the money back that i spent to process it. If its not then its free. I'm willing to eat a few dollars in freezer bags but when you get it processed its not free.

9. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I cut up my own deer and I will share it with 2 other guys that I hunt with. I know that the favor will be returned when they get something. I also have 1 friend that doesn't hunt but I share with him, he usually gives me a gallon of BBQ sauce that is homemade.

10. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

I am also the only one in the house hold that eats wild game.Last year i put 3 in the freezer(i'm going to be a little more hungry this year,i hope i have a good spring turkey season and trot linning summer:laugh: ) and by this past season there were only about 1/2 a deer left,so that should say how much i like to eat it.I do my own processing(nothing on the deer gets waisted) and straight in the freezer it goes.I don't hunt privite property that often,but when i do i give 1/2 to the owner(packaged).Also since i'm a carpenter,i always tell them if there's anything that i can do,all they have to is ask.I use to share with a couple buddies of mine if they didn't score,but the past couple seasons,their idea of deer hunting is riding around through the woods on 4 wheelers with a 12pk.......i don't play that game or go for that BS.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008