Please Help Getting My Wife Involved

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by clemenlp, Aug 28, 2006.

1. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

All right, my wife really doesn't like hunting, apparently she feels that it took her father away from the family too often as a child. She also almost despices archery because of the practice it takes. So I don't hunt or practice as much as I could for her sake. I really want to know if anyone has some advice to try to get her involved in archery though. I'm not expencting her to walk miles in the woods to hunt, but I would like to spend some time knocking out some targets in the backyard with her. Has anyone else had success with this matter with their spouce that could Help.

Also, I was considering the Genesis bow for her so that if it didn't work out I would have at least invested in something that the kids could use. I was also wondering how they are for shooting and if basic equipment like sites and peeps are able to be installed.

Thanks for the help

2. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I admire your desire to get your wife involved with you. You might try doing something she enjoys for some time like antiquing or short day trips:love: ,:pray: praying all the while ,next ask her to shoot some arrows, maybe a borrowed bow ,no strings attacthed and see what might happen, God Bless , Holy Smokes

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

just curious, if she is that deadset against it why would you try forcing her into it? I would say get the kids involved and if she wants to spend some quality time with the family she will :)

4. clemenlp

My wife definately is not the type to get forced into doing anything that she is against, and I don't want her to be.:hug: Really all I am trying to do is find out a way to have her give it a fair shot and see if it sparks an interest. My four children and I already shoot and we would all enjoy it if she would join us. All I am saying is that her distaste for hunting has place her at the predisposition of disliking the sport of archery. I am simply trying to get a feel for how to get her to try it. I am not going to tell her we are taking a road trip and pull into the pro shop and have start testing the bows, but I would like some advice on what to do/say (or not to say :tape: ) when I talk to her about trying it.

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

oh gotcha, has she even tried shooting one of the kids bows?

6. clemenlp

No, the closest we have ever gotten was she came out to watch my oldest shoot his bow a month ago. He had a huge interest in hunting until he said that he was burnt out and took a couple seasons off, but not that he has reached bow hunting age the interest is back, maybe too much following and not enough participation (my fault?). She seemed to enjoy watching him and I never would have had this idea if I hadn't gotten that opinion.

Maybe I'm too much of a guy and need to simply ask her is she would be interested, you know all that communication stuff she talks about?:noidea:

Seriously though we do communicate, but one conversation at times is all it takes for her to like or hate an idea and I don't want to screw this on up like so many in the past.

7. edswench

edswench Junior Member

please help getting wife involved

My husband starting doing 3d archery shoots and I love to Hike so I started going it wasnt long until I was tired of being just score keeper my first recurve was a ben pearson he got for almost nothing and I started shooting.
    2 Years later I love it and look up shoots to go to.
    Dont get a bow to hard to handle men forget we arent as strong I only pull 22 pounds but i had shoulder surgery so dont have much muscle I love my new long bow and he let me pick it out but My first bow was nice the new one is a black Rhino and the hand grip is made for smaller hands and is easier to hold on to for me. Also Ed my hubby fletch's my arrows in my favorite colors which is fun for me and more personal ( I Love Pink so my feathers are pink)
    Ask her if she wants to do shoots for fun just to be outside. Practice is fun to if you make it fun I have a black bear target and a layered target I chose this year to use, benefits him to but I wanted them and he didnt mind. We practice alot we both shoot traditional in the back yard and it is fun trying to see who can win for the day. Make it fun if you are practicing and she isnt having fun she wont do it. If you sincerly want her to try it wether it is compound or traditional ask her if you get a bow just to try in the back yard if she hates it you wont ask her to continue make it fun and dont always win (no fun if you shoot and always win she wont want to continue to learn Dont lose on purpose just change up the way you shoot with her so she can learn and enjoy) find other women to practice with her.
    Women have the wrong image if what a shoot looks like and how the operate. I dont hunt and never will, but love to 3d shoot and practice.
    I live in Indiana and dont have any women to practice with but my idea of what a shoot and the people and men doing them were wrong. Ask her why she doenst want to try and dont spend alot on the bow at first if she continues you can invest in a newer one next year if she wants.

Good luck I hope she starts shooting with you.

8. whitetail99

whitetail99 Senior Member

Wait a minute... She married you knowing your a hunter right? I assumed you asked her to get married right? If this is not new behavior for you and you are taking care of all your same responsibilities she is not being fair. :Cry:

9. DavidC77

DavidC77 Junior Member

I would suggest starting easy.

Maybe using the kids bow or borrowing a bow from someone.

Make sure she has a arm guard and other stuff like that on, nothing stops a new shooter faster than arm burn :amen: .

Start slow and easy!!!

10. clemenlp

Actually I wasn't a hunter when we got married, the closest I had ever gotten was when my father was well enough to take me when I was younger (12-13). The interest was alway there, but I never really got involved until I wanted a way to get to know her father and for that reason she was fine with it. However, over time it morphed from wanting to get to know him to almost an obsession. I hunted 4-5 days a week for the first season while I was waiting for college to start and all but ignored her while our marriage was in it infancy, guess for a period I turned into exactly what she didn't want. So, I really don't know if this is even probable because of how strong she feels, but all of your advise is great. I am not going to try to pressure/force it onto her, but maybe just bringing home a borrowed/inexpencive bow and asking her to try it is my best option.

Thanks for all of the wonderful advice, the members here make this site the best I have found. Keep up the great work, like someone said in a different thread it is like sitting on the porch with your friends and family.:thumb:

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Patience, patience, patience......if you do not posess this, get someone who does to help her get started....

12. whitetail99

whitetail99 Senior Member

It pains me to say this BUTT you entered into a commitment with a understanding of what your wife thought of this behavior. She might not be right in here views of hunting but she had them before marriage. Her and every other man and woman have the right not to participate. I like to promote getting out to the woods and take part of being a good steward of the land. Bird watching?? What if you were really into hunting and you married a woman that years later became a PETA member?

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Does anyone remember the song D-I-V-O-R-C-E!!!!!!

People enjoy teasing animals......
    People enjoy tasty animals......