Public Land

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by SpiritOfTheWild, Sep 22, 2007.

  1. SpiritOfTheWild

    SpiritOfTheWild Junior Member

    39
    0
    0
    Hi Everyone Im New On 3dshoots, I used to hunt with a hunt club, as a member for 5 years, I decided not to join this year and am opting For several public reserves open to hunting, Does Anyone Have Any Tips On Finding Deer Specifically Bucks On Heavily Pressured Public Lands? :peace:
     
  2. Wheely

    Wheely Wheely Threads

    5,611
    12
    0
    I don't know how to hunt, but WELCOME to 3Dshoots!!!:D
     

  3. brokenarrow

    brokenarrow Evil Genius

    5,305
    1
    0
    Welcome...
    It ain't easy...
    You need to know the lay of the land...know how to spot hot spots in the terrain, get some maps or arial photos...and you need to do your preseason scouting...

    when pressure is high you really need to do your homework to get the edge...

    also on those pieces of land hunt all day...most guys hunt mourning or afternoon...the deer know this and will movve alittle between shifts...:biggrin1:

    Good luck
     
  4. Dredly

    Dredly Site Guru

    4,358
    3
    0
    I don't know if your area is anything like mine but you will get screwed on public land more times then you want to think about... people coming in early and taking scouted locations, people coming in late driving or scaring the deer, people making nuisances of there self...

    ever watch somone post up 30 yards up a trail from you when they knew you were there? If my only hunting option was public state game lands I wouldn't hunt.

    Be careful!
     
  5. SpiritOfTheWild

    SpiritOfTheWild Junior Member

    39
    0
    0
    The Hunt

    meh, Jus makes it more challenging :D noone ever said bowhunting was easy
    Wise Words From Uncle Ted "Killers Are Out For The Kill,Hunters Are Out For The Hunt" :wave:
     
  6. tnts79

    tnts79 Senior Member

    1,014
    0
    0
    I have been kinda lucky hunting public ground, I know a guy who lives about a mile and a half from the nearest public access parking lot. I just park there and walk in across his pasture! Most of the public land hunters are lazy, so they don't want to walk very far, perfect, I just make sure im in early and try to hunt places I can get to without making much noise. The guys coming in late run me deer like its their job! :tape: I used to hunt pretty deep in the woods but I relocated to about 15 yards inside the tree line on a well used escape route just off a field, beans this year, to some thick cover and bingo, deer! Hunting public ground is great if your smarter than your average joe, go to google and type in local live, great aerial photos and you can even get the 3D nice for finding previously unknown spots. Well enough of my rant, good luck, scent free, and use the wind as your friend!:typing: :rant:
     
  7. lungcutter

    lungcutter Senior Member

    832
    0
    0
    :welcome: I hunt puplic land and I have to be smarter and do my homework to be successful. Today I have a great spot that works great 90% of the time. Today was the other 10%, We had 86 deg. weather mixed with atv riders running around:doh: Last week this spot was perfect.

    Have several fall back stands and be patient.:frusty:

    Good luck and have fun.
     
  8. Dredly

    Dredly Site Guru

    4,358
    3
    0
    and be safe :) Don't become a statistic!
     
  9. IChim2

    IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

    1,529
    0
    0
    I've hunted state/public land for 35+ years and love it.It takes a lot of scouting....most of my favorite spots i stumbled upon while spring turkey hunting .Luckly my spots are atv free.
     
  10. MeanV2

    MeanV2 Senior Member

    1,162
    2
    0
    I've hunted public ground that was a good experience and I've also hunted public ground that was a joke. It boils down to how much ground is available (the more the better) and how much pressure that ground gets or how many knuckle heads hunt there. The main thing is to get back away from where most hunt if that is an issue and if it is possible:cool:

    Dan
     
  11. IChim2

    IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

    1,529
    0
    0
    I agree.I hunt by myself because a friend won't make the walk that i do to get to my stands and away from everyone.But i always take deer every year....and he doesn't.
     
  12. kbohunt

    kbohunt are u a fat boy?

    3,237
    0
    0
    Public land!

    I have hunted public land in the past
    the first thing is be safe and like others said hunt away from others and deeper in the woods from others and you may get your deer quicker than the rest!
    And :welcome: to the greatest bunch of archers around!:wave: