Question for the experts

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Southernfryedyankee, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Senior Member

As most of you know my bow recently went through a major transformation (new grip and new stabilizer being the 2 largest things I will talk about) Upon shooting the bow I noticed that where as I had a torqueless.com medium wrist grip originally I switched to a torquless low rist and I immediatly noticed that the bow didnt feel that "dead" in my hand feeling as the medium did. Also the stabilizer I was shooting was the sims s-coil that I got from bowhuntnhoosier (thanks again buddy) I now use a 12" posten woodsman doinker stubby hunter on the end. Now I KNOW that those 2 stabs together
    are much heavier than what I have ever been used to shooting with. Could the fact that I havent shot in a few months be the cause for my innacuracy, or could it be the 2 stabs together are to heavy and last but not least could it be the lack of that dead in my hand feeling that is causing me not to be able to settle my pins correctly?

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Not having shot for a while can definitely play a large role in you being inaccurate. Changing anything on a bow, especially a grip angle can take time to get accustomed to and shoot well. I don't think the feel after the shot would have any influence over your accuracy.

You just changed your strings. Have you ensured the cams are in time when at full draw? Make sure they are in sync. If they are and you still have more feedback in your hand then you like, it can be a product of the cams' rotation. They can be in sync and still be rotated differently from before. Every 2 cam has a sweet spot for speed and smoothness.

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

perhaps you need to tiller tune it to your feel......:noidea:

4. Southernfryedyankee

I guess when I meant dead in my hand I was referring to the wrong thing. When I said dead in my thoughts it meant that the bow grip felt LOCKED against my palm and not swaying around as this grip feels

I personally dont think its the strings and im pretty sure everything is timed correctly. when I put the original new strings on everything was still on the ball, but then again im no expert im just prett sure everything is on the mark as far as timing.

5. Southernfryedyankee

what does that mean good sir?

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

do a search on tiller tuning your bow........

in a very quick explanation, you are turning 1 limb bolt and not the other,1/4 turns ata time and shooting groups to see where you bow performs the best

basically your adding or subtracting weight to one limb.........to get a different feel in your hand......

7. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Yes, please fill us in.:wave:

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Are you just seeing IF I know,or are you being serious???

9. BowhuntnHoosier

I was wanting to hear your version.:peace:

10. Southernfryedyankee

I thought both limbs were supposed to be equal turns I didnt know you could do that adjusting each limb individually. after looking at the marks on my cam 1 cam showed 3 marks and the other cam showed 2 marks I adjusted the limb with 2 marks equal to the other cams 3 marks. Are those timing marks. if I tightened it I would bring my draw weight up past being comfy so I chose to adjust it down, did I do the right thing

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

how did i do on short notice???:noidea:

12. BowhuntnHoosier

Very good.......:laugh:

13. Southernfryedyankee

ok after rechecking if I adjust 1 limb it effects the other cams Timing mark? so i redjusted back 1/4 turn and now both timing marks? are even

14. Southernfryedyankee

so I can also adjust the way my bow pulls up and down? I notice that I am constantly having to raise my arm at full draw to aim like there is an extra force besides gravity working against me

15. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Regardless of the manufacturing process...it is doubtful that any 2 limbs that are stuck on a given bow are going to have perfectly matching limb deflections. There is a slight variance between limbs of a like deflection. Bow companies allow a certain tolerance and if you get one limb at the high end of the tolerance and one at the low end, it might affect the bows performance. This is one reason timing marks don't work too well on dual or binary cams. The best way to check for timing is with a draw board or by drawing the bow and ensuring the mods roll over at the same time. Only at full draw can you see how the cams are rotated based on the deflection of the limb they are attached to.

Tiller tuning helps to correct the variance in deflection like the Bman stated.

16. Southernfryedyankee

could that also be the reason why my original torqueless grip felt so good in my hand because it was a medium wrist and there was a downward pull torwards my palm?

17. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

That extra force is your mind. Some people recommend tiller tuning to correct low holding problems, but I believe it to be a band aid and not a cure....:noidea: