Releases...Help!

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by chelleo, Mar 19, 2007.

1. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

Ok folks...I'm looking for some ideas here. Has anyone used a back tension release before and if so yes or no on to get or not to get? I also need something for hubby that he doesn't need to turn his had much cause it hurts his arm to turn with back of hand to cheek. He definitly does not like or want the kind that strap on your wrist. I still don't understand how you're supposed to use those things when you have to move your finger a ton to shoot the darn thing.

I currently have a Carter Target 2 release and it's ok but I've "heard" that the back tension ones are pretty nice.

Lets here some feedback please....and thanks in advance.

2. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I have a Scott's, wrist strap, trigger release and I like it. I have never shot with anything else. I am going to try a BT release someday, but not for a while. If I didn't have the wrist strap to strap to my bow when I am not shooting, I would never have a release with me. :laugh: My brother and I went hunting one time and when we got our bows out I realized I left my release home. I was soooo mad, then while laughing, he pulled it out of his pocket. He noticed I left it and grabbed it. So, point is, I have to use a release that I can ty to my bow :biggrin1:

3. I love my Carter Evoluition Plus..........

MMMMm - MMMMMM!:rockon:

4. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Sounds like we might have a blonde here with dyed hair fellars. :tape: HS

5. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Idon't know how long ya been shootin but I havea scott itty bitty goose and have shot this type from tha get go'84' with release ,fingers for 11 yrs before that.
    Itried to do one lastyera and it was a hassle.
    If I wanted to deicate a year I could have mastered it> Soooo if you have not locked into it ..... HS

6. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

No hair dyeing here, I a true brunnett :biggrin1:

7. n2t

n2t Senior Member

from what I understand you can shoot back tension with most standard releases. So technicly you don't "have" to buy a new release.

8. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

This is true!! you can shoot any releaase while using back tension. I use it hunting w/ my Tru-Ball stinger. Also, If your hubby wants to try back tension or you for that matter. I'd pratice w/ a string bow first for awhile. Until you get a true feel of how to properly draw it back consistantly w/ out smashing your face. Even a true tension release w/ a safety like a tru-ball sweet spot 2. I persoanlly like the Bt gold ultra 3 by tru-ball.
    Also find someone who has some experience w one. will help.. good luck

9. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

Thanks tons for all the feedback...I found out tonight I was holding my release kind of incorrectly so I've corrected that and this fella had a release very similiar to my hubby's and showed him how to hold it better. When hubby feels better he'll be giving it a try.

10. slamdam

slamdam Senior Member

I got the tru ball 3-d thumb and absolutly love it. My groups size went from 4 inches to 2 inches at 20 yards. I shot a true fire wrist strap before. I shoot way more constant with it. I won't shoot anything else.

11. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, the TRU Ball thumb releases (Pro Diamond comes to mind) with the standard caliper head are nice. The head rotates 360 degrees so you are not forced to have the back of your hand against your face. You can orient your hand any way you wish to be the most comfortable.

Ron

12. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

Slamdam, I looked at teh Tru ball website and didn't see the release you're talking about at all. Is it called something else cause I would like to at least see what it looks like.

13. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

http://www.truball.com/Hunting.html

Try that link.

Ron

14. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I like the feel of my wrist release much better but after I shoot with my TB Ultra 3 for awhile it gets comfortable also just don't like switching back and forth. Definately get a rope trainer for learning the BT release. Chipped teeth are not good.:peace:

15. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

They make a bunch of thumb release styles. Saber tooth, St4/St5, Chappy Boss. And you can change heads on some also.

16. Spoon13

Spoon13 Just a squirrel!

I use the Ultra Sweet Spot by TRU Ball and I love it. It definitely improved my accuracy. It made me a more consistant shooter and I LOVE the idea of the safety. It makes sure you don't bust your own mouth.

17. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

CACADE MODEL 10!!!:smokin:

18. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

SORRY, that's CASCADE

19. rdnkgrl_robinhood

rdnkgrl_robinhood Senior Member

Well I have to say that I never shot with anything other than TRUBall releases, and I have never been dissatisfied with any of them that I have used. I started shooting with the TRUBall Cyclone (wrist strap style), and I loved it, then recently after getting a new target bow, I wanted to try something different, so I got a TRUBall T-Handle Thumb release, and I have to say it is awesome.. My groups are much tighter. I seem to have much more control over shots..Also since I am a lady, and I dont have very big hands, the T-Handle Thumb release was a great choice because it is small, and very comfortable to shoot.

Anyway good luck

rdnkgrl

20. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

There's a couple of posts in this thread that state you can shoot back tension style with any release. Well, that's partially true but a flawed thought for someone that has never shot back tension.

Until you shoot back tension the right way, you don't know what the shot is supposed to feel like. So you don't know what is right or wrong.

Now, if you want to learn it, I recommend the Evolution Plus. This will teach you what back tension is supposed to feel like. Once you know this, you may be able to shoot another release with back tension.

Once you learn to shoot a back tension properly, you will probably not want to shoot any other style release. Just my opinion.:biggrin1: