Rocket Hammerhead 4 Blade - Field Test

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Tax Lawyer, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Tax Lawyer

Tax Lawyer Support Stem Cell

I decided to use this head out of a Guardian that produces 79 ft/lb of KE. I was a little nervous because this is a HUGE head with 4 blades (2 inch cutting diameter). But, my concern turned out to be unnecessary.

I shot a 100 doe at 40 yards with a quartering away angle. I hit her pretty far back on the entrance but my exit hole was about 3 inches behind the shoulder. My arrow blazed through her and was laying about 10 ft past where she was standing.

There was very little blood trail. That is because she took 2 bounds and dropped. I have never had a deer go down so fast.

I am attaching pictures of the wound channels. The entrance hole was good; the exit hole was huge. The pictures are a little messy because the shot angle took out about every organ possible (except for the heart).

I am very happy with this head and will continue to use it when I have sufficient energy on whitetail deer.

The first picture is of the entrance hole.

2. Tax Lawyer

Tax Lawyer Support Stem Cell

Here are the exit holes (inside and outside).

3. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

I have used the Rocket Sidewinders for years w/ no problems what so ever. 1 and 1/2 inch cutting diameter. Last year i was shooting 27 draw and 57 lbs shooting 261 fps and shoot thru everything I pointed my bow at. Including the Buck in my signiture. Quartering away or to it does'nt matter.

4. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

WOW:rockon: :rockon:

5. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Allright!

Another Believer!
    Ive shoot Rocket hammerheads and Sidewinders for nearly 10 years I was a Believer 10 years ago with the first rocket Mini-Blasters i took deer with.
    This year i switched to the PSE Brute 100gr with a 2 inch cut.
    The heads are almost Identical except the Pse blade is thicker and dosnt break off which i had concerns.
    Try the Brute head too.
    But the Rockets are bad to the bone!:peace:

6. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

I have used the Rocket Mini-Blasters for several years and won't change. They are only 78 grains but the hole these critters leave is unreal. Pass thru on a buck last year and had a 3 foot wide blood trail to follow. Needless to say, I didn't have to follow it too long :biggrin1:

7. Shaman

Shaman Senior Member

They don't seem to handle turkeys too well.
    Maybe too many hard parts?

One of mine from last year.
    [​IMG]

One of my Brothers.
    [​IMG]

I now use Spitfires.
    He now uses Shockwaves.

8. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Yep!

: ;80613]They don't seem to handle turkeys too well.
    Maybe too many hard parts?

One of mine from last year.
    [​IMG]

One of my Brothers.
    [​IMG]

I now use Spitfires.
    He now uses Shockwaves.[/QUOTE]

But if they did that kinda damage!
    They did there job to me!
    Ive shot every kinda head fixed and mechinicals some ended up damaged some didnt!
    I did this year change to the PSE-Brute 100 which is identical except for the blades are thicker.
    So far i shot 1 deer 8pt great hole,broke ribs on both sides and stuck in the ground 6 inches and i can shoot it again!:biggrin1:
    Heres the broad head a PSE Brute 100gr with a 2in cut and heres the hole in the deer from 2 weeks ago!

9. Shaman

Shaman Senior Member

They did not "do that kind of damage".
    They bent in on themselves when encountering bone.
    We have small flocks and for spring hunting you know if you took out one of the Toms. Mine hit the breastbone. The turkey flew straight up and back down, when he landed the nock stuck in the ground with the arrow sticking straight up and the turkey kind of fell off it and to the ground. It took off flying and landed next to the woodline. It made it into the woods before I could get close enough for a second shot. He was seen the next day back with his flock and other Tom. I hit the turkey in the classic front center location.

My brother shot his turkey on the side and that is what happened when his hammerhead hit the wing butt. That bird was not killed either but luckily my brother was able to catch up to it as it fluttered with the arrow twisted inside of its wing making it difficult to run or fly.

Not trying to be a downer on the Hammerhead. But, my brother and I have both encountered situations which were less than steller.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  10. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Well!

Shaman, You and your brother had bad incounters with Rockets.
    In 10 years of shooting them I only shot maybe 6 turkeys and took them all.
    And deer around 30 in the past 10 years were taken with rockets.
    But i probably DAMAGED 3 dozen rockets beyond repair!
    Last year i shot a hammerhead thru the sholders of a nice buck when retreaving the broadhead there were no blades on it the deer was poor hit my fault but i got a follow-up shot of him stagering 200yds away.
    Thats why this year i tested the Pse head shooting it thru plywood, blades wouldnt break but they bent,but not as bad as your pic!:noidea: