Roller Guard Question

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by clemenlp, May 16, 2008.

1. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

Well, while I was at Gander the other day I noticed something just a little out of place on one of their Guide Serise Bows. Upon closer examination I could tell that the cable had slipped off the roller guard. I asked a question on a previous thread about a year ago that asked what is to stop the cable from coming off of the roller guard since one side is exposed. Well, I guess the answer is nothing, but the story does not end there.

My curiousity finally got the better of me and I decided to see how taunt the cable was, and found that I could easily place the cable back onto the roller with my thumb.

So, I now ask after everyone has had their bows with the "Bowtech, Diamond, Guide Serise" style roller guards for some time. Has anyone else seen or heard of this situation or is it unique? I don't expect the Box Store Bows to be set up perfectly, although this store has really lucked out with a excellent group of Bow technicians.

Chris, you went to the University, is there any way that you can see that may have caused it or prevented it?

I just don't want someone getting hurt or their equipment getting messed up by this if it can be prevented.

(No, at the time I could not find anyone in the archery department of inform of this and had to leave and get back to work b/f lunch was over)

Thanks
    Clem

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

they do go on and come off very easily. there wasn't anything wrong with the bow you looked at. they dont jump out of the tracks due to the very limited travel of the parallel limbs. the airborne bows do have a little triangular piece that mount behind the cables, I guess as a precaution due to the energy produced by those cams. I haven't heard of any instances where the cables jumped out of track on anybody while shooting.

3. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

What would happen to the bow (or worse, the shooter) if this happened while someone was shooting it? :noidea: I would at least think that you would miss and that once in a lifetime buck would be gone in a flash!

4. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

I don't know what would happen, but I do know that I wouldn't want it to happen. They are great bows and have become very popular, I just believe that if something needed to be re-thought that the Roller Guard design would be that component.

5. aljo

aljo New Member

I've had the cable jump off the guard a few times before on my old set up. didn't really affect the shot, but made a pretty annoying "twang". He's right about the airborns. my 82nd has a little plastic bar. I guess it's there to prevent this problem.

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yup.....I too questioned this as was told i was worrying about nothing.....maybe you will have better luck getting an answer........