????'s About BT techniques

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by STRO, May 27, 2007.

1. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I am currently in the process of buying a bt release to try and help with my target panic. I have never used one of these. Does anybody have any tips or suggestions about using these that may help me out. Again, I know nothing about BT releases except you somehow use your back muscles and it should be a surprise release.

2. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Make yourself a trainer string and practice with it first. Then move on to shooting your bow. I done about 2 weeks straight blankbailing with mine first. Good luck and be patient with it.:peace:

3. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

that would be the best suggestion I would give. Use a bow string until your comfortable. Then you can play w/ the speed on the release.

4. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ok!

You hit the nail on the head, Great advise Hoosier!:peace:

5. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Pull away from your mouth.

6. STRO

This all sounds like great advice, thanks guys

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yup thats the answer right there:rockon:

8. Allen

Allen Senior Member

9. STRO

I remember reading this a few months back. School is out in a week and a half and it looks like this will be my summer job. That thread described me to a T.

10. Allen

Allen Senior Member

There are a couple of other back tension articles by GRIV. He really knows his stuff.

GRIV - George Ryals - has been a professional archer for many years. He claims that he has no talent for archery, but got where he is by hard work and learning technique. His intimate knowledge with typical problems makes me believe him

If you ever get a chance to attend one of his seminars, I strongly recommend that you do. He explanes it even better in person than in writing.

11. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Absolutely, I have learned so much from Griv. Although I have trouble staying focused on what he has taught. I read alot of his writings and practice his drills quite often. If you want to learn more from him here is a site he started some time back. http://www.archerylive.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

12. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

13. STRO

Yep, starting a week from today I will begin the long and disciplined job of losing the target panic. My only quesion is that this whole process is going to take a few weeks or even months to iron out. It is 3d season so do I not shoot any 3d's until I get this ironed out or do I shoot the 3d's and hopefully not continue the bad habits.

14. Allen

Allen Senior Member

You will do far better if you don't shoot any competition until you have finished with GRIV's program.

Every time you shoot a 3D round or something else, you basically put yourself back at the beginning. All the work you did before the 3D is almost wasted. Not entirely, but enough that you will get very frustrated with back tension and think that it is not working.

If you really want to rid yourself of TP, stick to GRIV's program 100%.

It will pay off in the long run.

Good luck,
    Allen

15. Allen

Allen Senior Member

This is good advice for two reasons:

One - you avoid a fat lip

Two - the best muscles for back tension are used and it makes for a smoother transition to BT execution

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

so I would have to miss a hole 3-d season....no thanks, I will just continue to suck.....:biggrin1:

17. STRO

That's what I am thinking. It might be easier to time the release. I like to call it the timer.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

18. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

and its going off PUNCH IT......

19. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

At my last classs I had the fella was showing me how to use a trigger release or even a BT release in a way that it's still a surprise. I'm in the process of trying to get the barrel of my new carter release (Fits Me Too)so that when I draw back the barrel is in the crook of my hand between my thumb so when you squeeze your fingers it sets off the release. I have to see if I can set the trigger a little tighter too I'm always afraid it's gonna go off to quick cause I'm holding too tight or something. You don't ever trigger by hitting the drum with your thumb. My groups were hugely better last night so when I get the release down better I'll be really cookin'.

20. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

You know I hear ya but it's going to be hard to just blow off the next several weeks of outdoor fun with friends. I'm not going pro, so I'm taking all of this into consideration into the outdoor way of life. That writeup was really good though....

Ron