safe arrow weight.

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by trigger, Feb 4, 2008.

1. trigger

trigger New Member

when shooting 3D is there a minimum arrow weight that is shot that won't compromise the bow.
    Also is there a speed cut off.
    what i mean by that is can you be told that your bow is shooting to fast.

PS this is my first time here so hi to all.

2. HCAman

HCAman New Member

Hey trigger, :welcome: to the site.

If you are shooting an ASA sanctioned event than your bow can't shoot above 280fps. Correct me if I'm wrong guys...

If you are shooting an IBO sanctioned event then you can't have an arrow weighing below 5 grains per pound... No Speed limit i believe.

I wouldn't recommend shooting any arrow below 5 grains per pound. even though HCA will warranty lower.

Welcome again:peace:

3. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

:welcome: :welcome: to the forum. And I hate to do it but........HCAman is correct.:peace:

4. HCAman

HCAman New Member

I know that hurt to say!!! :thumb:

5. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Welcome and HCA's right...:D

6. trigger

trigger New Member

thanks for the welcomes and the answers to the questions.

7. rod251

rod251 Arrow flinger

ASA allows a 3% chrono margin of error, which equates to 8 fps, so you can actually shoot 288 fps at ASA sanctioned events. I wouldn't push it though. If speed is your game and you get your bow around the 280 mark, best leave it there. If your bow goes through the chrono at 289 fps, sorry, game over for that day.

8. trigger

trigger New Member

I have a short draw length so 280 would be great but I'm just trying to learn about what's acceptable, the reason I posted the question was because I spoke to a shooter an a local shoot and he was watching me put my arrow through a chrono and he remarked that he was getting 300/308 out of his arrows and their weight was 5.5 gpi. It just seemed a bit much,to be able to shoot that flat
    it would give him the ten ring out to 25/30 yards if he was able to hold good.

9. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

what draw and pounds you shoot.

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

THERE ARE NO GIVE ME'S IN ARCHERY.............

11. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

People give me advise all the time..............of course I usually do not listen.:rockon:

12. trigger

trigger New Member

I understand that their are no give me's in archery but I think there are advantages, as for my draw it is 26 ins and I am shooting a Parker phoenix 36 @70# and shooting a gt 5575 at 360 grains and I am maxing at 254 fps.