Shooting Carbon Arrows in COLD...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by swintj1, Nov 20, 2007.

1. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Hello,

This is my first winter with Carbon Arrows, and I was just wondering if you can shoot those in sub degree temperatures? It gets frickin cold here in MN here in the winter, and I know golf clubs that use graphite can't be used in the cold because the shaft will break...what about carbon arrows?

I own Carbon Express Maxima 250's...brand new. Are they pretty durable, or should I buy some Aluminum for the winter? If so, what should I get? Easton XX75's or whatever they are called?

Any help would be great! Thanks!

-Joe

(HAPPY THANKSGIVING GUYS! HOPEFULLY, some of you are eating your own harvests!)

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

never thought of that.......:noidea:

3. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I've never seen or heard anyone mention carbons getting brittle in cold weather. I'd say that you would have to turn into a popsicle before they would cause you any problems.....:peace:

4. Rgrsldg1

Rgrsldg1 Junior Member

I'm right across the border, Northern Wisc. I haven't experienced any problems with carbon arrows in cold weather. I shot them last winter getting used to my new bow and archery again and my Eastons and Carbon Express arrows woked fine for me, don't know about these others guys tho they might be alittle fussier than me. Go ahead and try them.

5. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

I am sure that the arrow company's website has a customer service email address. To get the best information about a specific arrow manufacture's recommendations it may be best to shoot them this question. Basically you can get half-a-dozen answers and none of them could apply to your specific arrow.

Oh, just remember that if you do this, you will also need to come on here and post whatever you find so we can all be better informed.

Clem

6. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Never seen or heard anyone having trouble with carbon arrows in the cold weather... :noidea:

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I wouldn't leave them outside in the snow for a weeks but I've shot in very cold temps (0 - 20 degrees) without an issue. I think the force being applied to a golf club may be a little more extreme then what is being done to an arrow.

8. AZHuron

AZHuron Junior Member

directional force

Carbon arrows will be fine in cold weather because the force applied in shooting them is parallel to the shaft where swinging a golf club applies force perpendicular to the carbon / graphite shaft and makes it more prone to break at any temperature.

Just my perception through limited knowledge of physics.

9. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Never heard of any problems with cold carbons. I've seen videos of guys hunting with carbons in some very cold climates.:noidea:

10. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Man this gives me an idea for some field testing and it would involve some liquid nitrogen anybody want to help?.....:peace:

11. BowhuntnHoosier

Please tell me your kidding.:doh:

12. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

shor' am glad I live in tha South ya'll frezze this boy.

13. BowhuntnHoosier

You old softy..:tape: :laugh:

14. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Yup
    ya know thta come with age don't ya?:biggrin1:

15. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I dont know about CX arrows in cold?? I shoot Radial x-Weave arrows here in Michigan. Pretty much same climate. I've never had issue's with carbons in extreme cold. A friend of mine shoots maxima's too. and has no issue's.

16. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Shot a 3d last winter and it was 6* when I got out of the truck. Slight wind but it at about -3* below wind chill. No problem with the carbon arrows. Did have a problem pulling them out of a frozen McKensie target though. Took about 3 of us on each target.

17. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Nothing worse than pulling arrows out of frozen targets! :censored: :censored: :mad:

18. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

:laugh: :laugh: yupper....and lube dont help on that one.......

19. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Woody's Lube is required, and you gotta keep it in a warm pocket. It's embarressing laying a old McKenzie on the ground, having a couple people stand on it, and three pulling without success. And the targets crack instead of healing when they are frozen.
    Never heard of a Carbon arrow busting because of the cold. Though, maybe with the Liquid Nitrogen.....