Shot 3D 1st time

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by J.Blay, Apr 15, 2008.

1. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

What a blast! My friend's dad has a 3D course 30 miles away. I got invited to help finish setting it up last sunday. We worked for 4 or 5 hours, got fed ribs, corn pudding and such, and then got to shoot the course. I watched the 78 year old owner and 3 generations of family members shoot traditional bows he makes himself. He even makes his own glue by boiling deer hide. These are some of the finest, most beautiful bows I've ever seen. The course is set in a hilly, wooded area. It's one of the most beautiful parts of our country; Northern Lower Michigan. We didn't see any morrell mushrooms, but the leeks (wild onions) could be smelled as we shot our way through 30 targets, ranging from 15 to 45 yards. Myself and 4 others shot modern compound bows. I think I did ok for my first shoot, scoring 258 out of a possible 360. We didn't use any 14 rings, so the top scoring ring was 12. We were given free access to the course untill the middle of May. What an awesom sport. MY favorite hobby just got even better. I'm grateful this forum is here for us to share these experiences.

2. watt spurlock

watt spurlock New Member

here we go

Good for you , I can feel your excitement in your story.
    From here,.....THE OBSESSION BEGINS...

3. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Sweet!! Did you take your camera?

4. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

where is this course at? is it a public course? i have a place up near mio. whouldnt mind checking it out this summer.

5. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

hey my inlaws have a cabin near Grayling..Im up there a bunch in the summer..Id love to shoot in the north countrey as well.

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yeah your hooked, you will be sorry.......:lol: :lol:

7. MichiganHunter

i see the bbq in you signature.... i say we shoot and eat!

8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Glad you had fun...
    3D is awesome...and highly addictive...and there is no cure...:dizzy:

9. jkcerda

jkcerda the GOON squad POSEE

+2

glad you had fun.

10. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

The course is located on Elk Lake road, 1 1/10 mi. north of M-72 East on the east side of the road, in Williamsburg, MI. Traverse City is the closest, larger town, 6 or 8 miles to the west. I'll post contact info later. Maybe I'll see some of you there. wheely, I have an ancient computer and I'm pretty ignorant to the technology, so I can't scan or post pictures. I wish I could.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  11. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

i actually went to my first "organized" 3d tourney this past weekend as well. It was fun had a blast but the scoring was non existent, basically like shooting in the hayloft or at home with an extra 30 targets.

12. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

Im in like FLYNN.. thats only 30 minutes from Grayling..Post some shoots I'll be sure to make a couple..

13. MichiganHunter

my place is right off 72 and not too far from grayling. theres as 3d course down the street from place also. i have never been there but the signs is always up. ill look into it and see if its worth checking out.