Should this irk me?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Wolf Claw, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Wolf Claw

Wolf Claw Junior Member

I have to say it bothers me when I hear about some guy who decided to shoot a game of five spot or a 3 d round for the first time and scores in the 290s. I have been trying for years. Not that I have a problem with them personally or anything like that just the situation. :noidea: :frusty:

2. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

lol!! I hear ya.. Some,people just have the gift..

3. Wolf Claw

Wolf Claw Junior Member

Probably just beginners luck. Wait till it starts messing with their head.

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

the very first time I shot a 5 spot round, I fired off a 298 w/48 x's.......:noidea:

been shooting 5 spot for 1.5 years......lowest score to date was a 294-36 X(I was sick)....

Highest so far was a 300 56x.....and i average 300 w/50 x's......

had a heck of a time this year at 49X:frusty:

5. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Senior Member

hey i have never shot spots or 3d and shot a 309 with 20x's.... cant compete with those shooting target bows and been doing it for a while ..... but it gives me another reason to practice..... now of course i have been shooting and hunting for years just never for score just to group and practice for the hunt......:noidea:

6. Wolf Claw

Wolf Claw Junior Member

Shock and Aw. What is wrong with me. Must be the bow. .:doh: :frusty:

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

how much time per WEEK do you DEVOTE, COMPLETLY to shooting your bow.....and I mean w/out other disractions??:noidea:

8. outdoorsman

then again i start shooting Aug 1st and shoot at least 3 times a week 50 plus arrows..... then in september it goes to 5 tp 7 times per week from trees, from sitting under trees ect and again at least 50 arrows each day i shoot.... shooting the spots was no different than shooting the targets in my back yard .... except that top right one..... got me everytime....

9. Wolf Claw

Wolf Claw Junior Member

2-3 hours on the average sometimes more. Not usually less.
    Actually I am very confident in my gear. 05 Ultra tech. hha sight, carter two shot, nap 800 rest, black max 400's blazers.

10. battman1

battman1 Junior Member

tried 5 spot for fun.Hunting set up.Shot once a weak.Lowest was 288 highest was 296.

11. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

What is it with that top right one? I have that same issue....hmmm:noidea:

12. outdoorsman

i dont know..... need to shoot 4 spots :lol:

13. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I know a guy who had been shooting 3D for a while but never tried spots. Shot a 300-60X first try. It irked a few in the club. There's a tradition in that club where if anyone shoots a perfect score, everybody present signs the target. There was a couple of snotty comments written. I wasn't there when he shot it, but I've seen the target.

14. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

I have been trying to shoot spots for less than a year, but I am still not very good at it. Then a guy came in the shop one day and was boasting about his success and it irked me as well. He had been shooting for a month (shooting at all, not just spots) and was hitting 300's with 56-58x's consistently. I was like :doh: , but I think some people just have the gift and it comes easy. There will be a point when I am hitting 300 60x's, but I am gonna have to keep working at it to make it happen!

15. outdoorsman

once i get a jig set up that will allow me to shoot my arrow in a 3/4" pipe 20 yards long that can be dialed to each spot i too will hit 60x's:laugh: :laugh:

16. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

:laugh: :laugh:

I know a couple of people I hunt with that are really, really good shooters that never shot indoor target (They still laugh at my Blueberry Ovation). I'd put them up against some of the local 'hot-shot' indoor shooters with the $2k rigs for a cold beverage. The issue is that they just think archery as a 'sport' does not mean anything to them. They hunt, and that's all they do... But having said that they shoot all the time. They have all kinds of 'bragger's rights' shoots using targets, warm+shaken up full soda cans, Rinehart RFT's, etc... They are shooters for sure and they are very good.

I would not be surprised to see a bowhunter who is a good shot step into an indoor 5-spot and whack most of the regulars.

And, then, there are the blowhards... Can't do much about them except invite them into your league/club and see what they can do... If they decline then you know the what they are made of... Swiss Cheese...

Ron