Sight Question, single or multi Pins

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by HoosierShooter, Aug 21, 2008.

1. HoosierShooter

HoosierShooter Is It October Yet???

Okay.... I came across a good deal on a Sword Titan for my new setup. It has the single pin. I am going to be shooting my DXT @27" / 48-50#. That being said, do you think I could hunt with the single pin set at 25 yards, or do I need to spring for the pin bracket to turn it into a 5 pin sight. I don't take 40 yard shots on deer, I don't even think I would take a 35 yard shot unless I was very confident that it would be clean....

So let me hear it.....

2. red man

red man New Member

if all you are going to shoot is 25 yards i would stay with the single pin. i have 5 pins and fell confidant at taking a deer at 45 yards. it is all what you feel confident shooting i guess.

3. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

Obviously you're not going to have alot of speed. You'll need to practice and learn your hold overs. It is personal preference like he said.

4. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

Practice enough with it and you will be ok.

5. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

I like to have a couple pins.

The difference between 15 and 25 yards at 50 pounds of draw weight will be huge when a biggin walks in and all normal thought processes go out the window.:wave:

If you keep it under 20 yards you should be able to get away with one pin.

6. HoosierShooter

My Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions you guys.... I figured I would have to work on the hold over.

I like posting questions over here, at that other place any question I have asked usually gets shuffled page three in a heartbeat, I guess they don't like talking to girls.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

7. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

ha bud

All i use now is 2 pins..but use mostly the one set on 28yds..i shoot 1-35 with it..and i have one set at 42yds for shots out to 45yds very rarely use it.
    i foud 28yd pin is perfect for me.at about 10yds if the deer is close im only 2inchs high and i adjust for that .at 35yds im 2-3in low and i adjust for that shot if i take it.
    my 2 cents:wave:

8. HoosierShooter

Thanks for letting me in on what yardages you shoot them at..... Now if my new DXT would just show up, I would be all set.....

I still say all you guys are great :peace:

9. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot New Member

I don't like to shoot deer past 20 yards, and the extra pins just clutter your sight picture. That being said, I love pushing my range as my skill advances and knowing you COULD kill a deer at 45 yards is fun... I recomend you use one pin if you want to hunt, but buy a multi-pinned sight so you can have some fun in the off season. You'll be able to shoot 60-100 yards like all these guys some day before you know it if you don't already.

10. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

Agree with every body else. Set your pin at 25 yards. Set up a stand 25 to 30 yards off of the best trail you can find and wait.

11. Carbon 4 Runner

Carbon 4 Runner New Member

Hunting out of a tree, I use a pendulum sight. When I'm on the ground I lock the pendulum down and use it as a fixed pin sight. My wife has 45lb draw with a pendulum and shoots out to 35 yards. Thats holding dead on from 5-35 yards out. The only distance you need to know is where 35 yards is, any thing inside that you just simply hold dead on and shoot.

12. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

ha there

Hi,i like pendulum sights for the purpose of treestand hunting.
    used them in the past..had a kellar pendulum like 25years ago.

but for a beginner.i wouldnt recommend it.its just more to learn.
    like when you said you lock it down when on the ground.
    exactly..the pendulm is just like a normal sight..it doesnt move
    and you have to adjust for the distance like with any other sight.

the reason i brought this up was because with the pendulm..you have to learn to shot off it in 2 different ways..in the tree..unlocked..and on the ground..locked.

and ive taken several deer on the way to and from the stand and stalking.
    beginners: 1 pin 25yds its simple..less is more:wave: