Something New

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by atscnc, Sep 11, 2007.

1. atscnc

atscnc Junior Member

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. Although I have been a archery hunter for many years, I just have never really had the time to belong to a forum. What I was wondering is what anybody would like to see improved about the equipment they use ie: sight, rest, stabilizer or just something that a guy or girl would like to see improved. I am trying to come up with a product or develop my own line of equipment ( sights and or rests) I'll start with the easy stuff then gradually work into harder things. I have my own machine shop with over 20 yrs experience and sitting around one day I thought I would make my own bow sight. I started designing an adjustable and thought I would ask some people what they would like to see improved with there adjustable or fixed pin sights. So anyone with any ideas please let me know and we'll see what happens. THANKS

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Welcome to the site. I would love to see a durable and affordable target sight. There are several out there now that are great sights. They have tons of bells and whistles. They also have huge price tags. It would be nice to have the option of getting a well built target site for an affordable price. I'd like to start letting my son start shooting through a scope in the near future, but I don't want to drop $200 on a sight minus the scope....

3. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

JC, I could not have said that better...

Scopes/lenses are one thing but target sight engineering is obviously good but the prices are rediculous.... It seems that you could come up with a way of putting that scope out there as well with less expense. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. You have to think outside the box.

Good luck and thanks for asking opinions.

And, sorry, welcome to the forum...

Ron

4. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

I will lend you a great lens maker if you want to try make scopes. On AT he goes by archeryoptics. What makes his lens stand out from the rest is his main company makes eye glasses. His lenses are made from the same stock and machines as glasses.
    See he came up with a good idea.
    So a good target sight for intery level users. I got my youngest girl a TOX model 1400. It is good for what it is. But no fine adjustment.
    I have one idea if you want it you have to PM me for it.

5. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

You guys aren't being quite honest. I agree with what you are saying but $200 is a pretty low priced target sight.

6. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Sure it is compared to higher priced ones. $200 was referring to my Copper John ANTS EVO2 that I bought used. The scope was another $100.

To me $300 is a chunck of change. I would say what I am really looking for is something to use indoors. Once I'm set at 20 yards, I dont need $200 worth of bells and whistles. I just need something to hold my scope and have a small amount of horizontal and vertical adjustment.

7. Timmer

Timmer Member

Replied to your post on Bowcountry too. I'm a designer by trade so I'm constantly thinking of new "stuff". I tinker and build some of it. Gives me something to do in the offseason. If you're serious, I wish you success in your endeavor. But be aware the archery industry can a cut throat business.

8. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

What do you mean can? It is!!!!

9. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

I have never seen it yet. Everyone keeps saying that but my bank account shows another story.

10. Timmer

Timmer Member

Congrats on your success.

Seems to me that patents don't go far and there are alot of infringements in the archery business. That was the point I was trying to make. It is the patent holders RESPONSIBILITY to sue those that infringe or lose what little protection the patent has. Problem is that it takes alot of money to accomplish this. And often times the company doing the copying has alot more money to spend on litigation. I don't work in the archery industry, but see this issue even in machinery manufacturing.

11. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Know what I'd like to see. A drop away rest without some stupid cord attached to it. I just think it's amazing how some of these are just a $15 rest with the spring reversed and a piece of cheap cord attached to it, with price tags of $80. What's even more amazing is that people keep buying them.

Maybe something in the line of the old Trapdoor, but with less noise.

It doesn't have to be a containment rest. Contrary to popular belief we don't shoot our bows sideways or upside down. At least I don't.

12. atscnc

atscnc Junior Member

Thanks for the ideas, it seems a target sight is what I need to work on, the problem is the patents on them are hard are to find out what exactly they cover. One other thing is that if a company already makes them for around $200 its going to be hard to beat that with a scope on it beacuse they have the process down pat. But thanks for the ideas and I'll keep you posted.

13. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Few make them with scopes. Copper John, Sure Loc, and Axcel all cost $300 or more without the scope. I don't need it to come with a scope. I just need the sight itself....