Sore left elbow and shoulder.

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Straightandtrue67, Oct 24, 2006.

1. I just got back into bow shooting and hunting. I'm experiencing some pain in my left elbow and left shoulder in my left arm (the arm that holds the bow, I'm a right handed shooter). Any advice on what to use to minimize the pain in these two areas or ways to treat the pain? Any help would be deeply appreciated. I'm currently shooting a new Mathews Switchback. I never had any history of a bad left shoulder or elbow. I think I over did it the first day I got my bow (I shot 80 arrows the first day I got my Switchback). Right now I'm resting the arm (I'm taking at least two days off from shooting my bow).

Take Care and God Bless!

Ed

2. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

80 shots :doh: yep you over did it some. I would turn the bow down abit and cut your shooting session a little shorter. 25-30 shots every couple of days and increase with time. Gotta build them muscles up abit first. Then gradually turn your bow up to where you can hold it straight out and draw it back. If you have to cant the bow into the air, your probably pulling to much weight.

Archery is just another form of excersie, You wouldn't get up and run a couple of miles off the bat, wouldn't be able to walk in the morning. Loosen up and work up to your goals.

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

heck some of us here would be dead, myself included.......

4. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

And at what weight is the bow set on? Whatever it is ti's more than your body can handle right now. Take some advice. Don't let testosterone get in the way of common sense.

5. gamegeekky

gamegeekky Junior Member

I recently got back into bowhunting and have had to deal with shoulder pain(it sucks getting old). I agree with what everyone has already said. I reduced my poundage and also took a week off of shooting. My shoulder was very painful even to the lightest touch. That has totally went away and now I only have some muscle soreness sometimes. Now I really pay attention to the least bit of pain and stop practicing.

I'll also recommend doing some stretches before you shoot. Do a search on yahoo and you'll find some. Also maybe try some light weightlifting to develop all of your arm and shoulder muscles.

For your current pain, take either some ibuprofen or naproxen any brand or off-brand. They will help with the pain and inflammation.

chris

6. Allen

Allen Senior Member

I've been dealing with tendonitis in my bow arm elbow for over a year. Don't take this lightly or you will pay the price with a lot of pain down the road.

First the old joke "Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this." Doc replies "Well, don't do that!"

Seriously, if it hurts quit doing it. I'm not saying to give up archery, but don't shoot until the pain goes away. This is especially important for shoulder pain. The small muscles of the rotator cuff are easy to damage.

There is a great article at http://www.thehuntdoctors.com/Bow_pull.html

Also, google "tennis elbow" and there are some good exercises for that on several websites. Tennis elbow is about the same as archers elbow.

It's hard not to shoot a new bow. Archery is fun! Unfortunately, it's easy to over do it.

When you go back to shooting, be sure to stretch and warm up before shooting and ice down your elbow and shoulder immediately after shooting.

Good luck,
    Allen

7. papito

papito Petering it since 06

80 arrows in one day is alot. My advice would be to start shooting 20 or so arrows a day at a lighter weight and work your way up. You have to start working that muscle slowly or else you could do some serious damage. Also try doing some basic arm streches before you shoot. I have found that if i loosen my arm up before i shoot i want be in pain at the end of the day.

Hope that this will help you,
    Peter

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

and besides how many times is a deer and deer going to stand there long enough for you to shoot 80 shots at it.......:noidea:

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I shoot in indoor 300 leagues and i only shoot 70-75 arrows a night (60 for score 10-15 for warm up) at 55lbs and by the end of the night elbows are sore......

10. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

:laugh: My 1st bow hunt, I shot at the same deer 3 times. I shot, it trotted off, came back, I shot again, it trotted off again, came back again and I shot a third time. Finally had to leave and go buy more arrows and broadheads:doh: But the next day I took that skinhead, and who knows it may have even been the same one. That was 11 years ago and I have been hooked since.:biggrin1:

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

had to leave the woods to go get more arrows:laugh:

12. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Not only that, it was a 30 mile drive to the nearest Wally World.:biggrin1:

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

wait you bought your arrows at wally world???:tape:

14. papito

was a grouse involved.......

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

wait arent you like 17......dont you have school in the morning???you need to go to bed little boy.......

16. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

:crazy: :crazy: Only defense to that is, It was my 1st bow hunt. But the bow didn't have a WB on it:biggrin1:

17. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

we will let it slide.....have you graduated to KMart yet????:biggrin1:

18. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

19. papito

are you stalking me how do you know i have school in the morning, and how do you know my age??????????

20. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

He must be sleepy.:bored:
    You told us in the other post when you outed your aspirations of MALE MODELING.