springs

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by longcut36, May 27, 2008.

1. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

I have heard you can buy springs that are calibrated for different poundage. compress it a 1/4 inch for a 100 lbs, 1/2 inch for 200 lbs. might not be the exact measurment. what I want to know is were can I buy some. any one know. thanks

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

what would they be used for?? what industry?:noidea:

3. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

I want to build a string stretcher and be able to tell about how much pressure I have on the string. I know you can buy springs that you can compress and get a certain amount of pressure depending on how much it is compressed. there is a bunch of formulas you can use to figure it out. but being lazy I was hoping some one might have the answer.

4. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

Any spring that's rated for the cycles you need with an appropriate spring constant should work. The spring constant is force/distance. Additionally, springs have a free length. There are compression springs (the type you mention that you squish), extension springs (opposite of that) and torsional springs (the kind you twist, so the spring constant is force/degree). There are many other types of springs...but to go on would just be me being a wanker.

You need to consider both the extension range that you want as well as the poundage. Based on your example, look for a compression spring with a constant (aka. spring rate) of 200#/inch.

www.thomasnet.com is a good place to find suppliers/makers. Just as a quick check, I found a place and searched their standard inventory for compression springs with >= 200#/inch of all sizes. Take a peep:
    http://hardwareproducts.thomasnet.c...&prodid=3001020&action=&forward=1&backtoname=

Last edited: May 27, 2008