Starter bow advice for son

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by TechDawgFan, Dec 11, 2007.

1. TechDawgFan

TechDawgFan Junior Member

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and am looking for some advice.

My 7 yr. old son has decided he wants a bow for Christmas. His decision is based on a shooting experience at a Cub Scout event where he fell in love with it. While I shot some when I was younger, I haven't shot in years. I'm struggling with what to get him and was hoping some of y'all could give me your opinions. I'm basically weighing 3 options:

1. A cheap ($100-$150) "toy" compound (I don't know what else to call it) type, prepackaged bow you can pick up at any Bass Pro Shop or sporting goods store. I really don't think this is the way to go because I would go in knowing it was junk and if he really liked shooting, we'd all be disappointed and would be back in buying a REAL bow in 6-9 months. But, it IS an option just to see if this is something he is really going to stick with.

2. A decent recurve. Probably still not a huge investment to get something decent and while safety is still a concern, probably not quite as high on the risk-o-meter. Also, he could probably shoot this in the backyard. One down side would be holding the draw long enough to develop aiming and handling skills.

3. I've looked at a Hoyt Trykon, Jr. There is an archery shop about 2 miles from the house and they have measured him at an 18" draw length. He was able to pull the bow at about a 20-25# weight without a release. I'm just a little worried that it might be too much bow for a kid who has never really shot before. The price isn't bad ($270) and we go to church with the shop owners, but still. . .

To add a little more to the mix, the shop down the street gives lessons for an hour every Sat. morning and they are free if you purchase the bow from them. (which is probably a HUGE value to have someone help a beginner from the start)

I've always been the type to try to buy things right the first time even if it costs a little more because if you don't, you'll just be back spending more a little later.

Also, they tell me there are two shoots every month here in town and they try to make sure the kids get something just about every time they come out.

So, opinions PLEASE. Is the Trykon too much bow for a 7 yr. old beginner? Would it be better to go cheap and gage interest before stepping up? Would he enjoy a recurve better? Are the lessons enough to justify more money? I keep flipping back and forth on what to do. :doh:

Thanks in advance!!!

Chris (TDF)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  2. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

You mentioned having a bass pro nearby. Well if you are interested in shooting with him then the genesis is a compound bow that both can use with a draw length of 15" - 30". It would be my suggestion to you, who knows maybe it will spark an interest in both of you and will give you something to do together. There is an astounding amount of experience on this site though and they may have a better idea for you. The best advise though, is to go to a proshop and hear what they have to say.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...r=62535&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

Best of luck and :welcome: to the forum

Clem

3. TechDawgFan

TechDawgFan Junior Member

Thanks. I guess I should mention that I DO have three bows that I could use (obviously not at the same time :D ) to shoot with him. I'm more concerned about getting him what he needs than what I need right now.

Chris

4. kimbercarry

kimbercarry Junior Member

I bought my son one this summer. He was 7 at the time. Bought it at Dicks Sporting for $180 (it was on sale) Fred Bear Pioneer model. Max draw is 29lbs. The guys that work in the Lodge at Dicks have been real helpful. My son is taller than most kids and has grown a good bid since summer. I've taken it back to Dicks 2 times already to increase the draw length and they've done it at no cost each time. He's already up to the max 29 lbs but the plan is for him to work for another year with it and then we'll move up to something he can hunt with. Good bow for the price.

5. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

6. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

Stacey Archery

I think you should check out http://www.staceyarchery.com. I bought my 5 year old a bow from them and love it. The bow is solid and it will grow with him. Stacey offers upgrades (like limbs and cams) at cost. We got the Tom Thumb II but your son my be better suited to the Mighty Mite. I know my little guy and i are stoked with it.

We also have a Hoyt Banshee for my 10 year old. It has been good too. I heard it has more adjustablility than the Trykon Jr.

Good luck with your choice!

:peace:

7. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

Hey TDF, did you find something for your son?