Starting over

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by craigo, Dec 13, 2007.

1. craigo

craigo Junior Member

Hi all... I'n a newbie here. I haven't bowhunted in about 4 years, and my bow has been sitting in the garage out back in a hard case all that time. I haven't even touched it yet, but boy am I itching to shoot since I now have a good yard for practicing again. Here's the deal... I bought the bow because I wanted to be able to get into the woods earlier in season. So, I found the first (used) thing I could afford and taught myself how to shoot it, knowing nothing about technique, mechanics, draw lengths, etc. I got good enough with it, I could consistently shoot 2-3" groups at 25 yards. I'm wanting to get it back out and shoot. Just a few questions... Is it bad for it to just sit for that long without being used? Does it matter that my anchor point is down just below my shoulder instead of the traditional spot on the cheek? I guess that means my draw length is wrong? Any inpu here is greatly appreciated. This is my first post, and I love this forum already! thanks

2. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Anchor just below your shoulder??? Could you take some pics? I would like to see that :biggrin1:

I let my bow sit for about 5 years, it shot just fine since the strings weren't too old when I put it away, but I went ahead and put new strings and cables on it and WOW!! it made a big difference.

AND...

:welcome: Glad to have ya!

3. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Yep, sounds like your draw is a touch too long. :D Like Wheels said, if you could post some pics we'll try to help with your form. How hot does your garage get? I doubt there's anything wrong with the bow, but a fresh set of string and cables probably would be good for piece of mind.

:welcome: to the forum. :welcome:

4. craigo

craigo Junior Member

Here's a picture of what I was talking about. My bow is a PSE SRL one cam. It's probably 12 years old or so. The draw length listed on the bow says 30" Since it doesn't list a range does it mean it's not adjustable? Also, I have to hold it like this to see through the peep. What can yall say to help with my form and setup? thanks

5. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Yeah that bow is way to long for you..... You need something alot shorter. The peep sight can be moved down. You need to get your hand up into the side of your face. I am not familiar with PSE bows but I am pretty sure that there is someway to change the draw length but I don't know if it will be enough for you. Try to find a good Archery shop to help you in your area. It will save you alot of time and money in the long run and :welcome: to the forum...

6. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

My guess is that bow is at least 3" too long. How tall are you? Usually a wingspan measurement divided by 2.5 will get you pretty close for draw length.

7. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

Thats what I was thinking too. you need to hold your bow out straight and pull to your face. Put your string on your nose. dont try to compensate. I would get your draw length looked at. you look about 27.5" - 28".