string loops

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by aljo, Aug 11, 2008.

1. aljo

aljo New Member

i was just out shooting my 82nd, and noticed my string loop was just about shredded. i just bought the bow in march, and this is the second loop i've been through. i figure i'm getting 150-200 shots a loop. my release clamps down around the string, not on it, so i don't think that's the problem. if anyone has any opinions about metal loops, i would appreciate it. i've heard they reduce speed a little, but i'm plenty fast already.

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I wouldn't recommend a metal loop to anyone..... Do you have sharp edges on the jaws of your release or something? If your only getting 200 shots out of a loop you have more trouble than just replacing loops...:noidea: Can ya post a pic of what the loops look like on your bow?

3. aljo

aljo New Member

i'd love to show you a picture, but that is currently beyond my technological capability. i'll have to wait untill my 13 yr old daughter gets home from cheerleading practice.

4. bullfiddle

That's alright I would suggest maybe taking a look at your release as well what type and model of release are you shooting?

5. aljo

aljo New Member

i use a tru-fire release that i've had a few years without any problems. the shredding occurs above the spot where the release comes in contact with the loop. by the way, what's wrong with the metal loops. i've never used one

6. bullfiddle

Well for one thing there heavy... The second thing I have heard horror stories of the screw's coming loose and making them into small boomarangs....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

7. bullfiddle

Does that spot have a sharp edge on it or a burr of some kind that you can feel?

8. bevins587

bevins587 New Member

Probable either a burr on the release or low-quality loop material.

9. I get my string for my loops from redheadcharm, they have really held well

10. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, I agree, and that's what I use. She sells genuine BCY loop material that is strong as heck and lasts a long time. If you're only getting 150 shots for a loop then your not using quality material or your release caliper(s) have a rough edge or something.

She's also great to do business with and has good prices.

Ron

11. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

ha bud

They knew that i would give my 2 cents:laugh:
    no man i shoot metal loops
    but i wouldnt recommend for target shooting.
    i use to use metal for target but not anymore.not because of them flying apart because i have never heard or seen that happen.
    and weight..there is none there made out of aircraft alluminum.

with that said only use metal for limited shots like in hunting there awesome
    you dont have to take your eyes off a deer to look at getting hooked up on a loop.

and in target i think the metal ..tou can tourk the release in the loop and on a rope ya cant it flows better.

but you have either a bur in your jaws of your release or you loop is hittin and sts or something going foward after the shot.:wave:

12. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

I Love BCY Loop material. Stay away from metal loops. I would say your problem begins with your release.

Dan