Switchback LD or XT for hunting.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Leo, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Leo

Leo New Member

Hi ya’ll,

This is my first ever posting. I would be grateful for feedback on the follow issue.
    I have passed my Matthew’s MQ1 to my brother creating a “need” for a new bow (not the issue). The MQ1 was a great bow for me and I had enjoyed it for about eight years. I am looking at the Switchback XT and the LD. I plan on taking up hunting from a blind this coming deer season, but in the past I have hunted from trees. I have about a 27.5” DL and I plan on a DW of 60lbs. I like heavier arrows and shoot a 100 grain Grim Reaper head. My fear is that LD may be better suited for 3D or target shooting and with my heavier arrows, may lack the wow factor that I am seeking. Shooting the LD or the XT is great, but the field is where the bow will prove it’s self.

Thanks,

Leo

2. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Leo~ Welcome to the forum!!

Sorry, I don't know how they compare, but I really love my XT and will definately hunt with it when I get the chance :biggrin1:

3. Leo

Leo New Member

Thanks Wheely, I only hear how wonderful and how people love the XT. I can't but think that if I buy the LD, I will always think that I should have bought the XT. I tend to use the same bow for 8-12 years.

4. LD or XT

If you are into speed I would go with the XT but if you want a VERY shootable bow even if you have some form break go with the LD.
    I shoot a LD at 57#, 28" D and a 360gr arrow at 245FPS.
    All I'll ever need unless I want to hunt Brown Bear.
    Works very well shooting field BHFS (5 pins and shooting 80yds)
    Charlie

5. Leo

Leo New Member

Is the XT really that much faster than the LD?

6. NerdHick

NerdHick New Member

I'll tell ya in a few days! I have an LD at the shop getting put together and I'm shooing the XT now.

:rockon:

7. Leo

Leo New Member

Nerdhick, cool. I'll look for your post!:peace:

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Nerdy you have a DRENALIN LD.......he was asking about Switchback LD:doh: :biggrin1:

and yes the Switchback XT is faster than the Switchback LD.....

go with the XT for hunting......

or an S2:noidea:

9. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

I still say the Switchback XT is the best hunting bow Mathews has put out to date. :peace:

10. Leo

Leo New Member

How funny! I think that I am leaning towards the XT, thanks. But I would like to know more about the S2. It is a second generation SB? How does it differ from the SB XT?
    What does LD mean anyway? By the way, I’m really grateful for all this help!
    Such nice bows.

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

the LD in Switchback LD stands for LONG DRAW....

not sure what they were doing with the Drenalin though:noidea:

12. Leo

Leo New Member

Long Draw? It seems that with a brace height of 9" it should be SD for Short Draw.
    Anyway, is there a 2008 S2? If so, how does it differ from the Switchback XT?

13. NerdHick

NerdHick New Member

:doh:
    Thats what happens when you have a new bow and you can't touch it...you get blinded and miss the details!!!

:laugh:

14. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

SB XT is a great bow I have not shot a bow yet that will replace it for me. 31"ATA 7.5"BH. IBO speed on this bow is 315fps.

SB LD it goes up to 32"DL which is why they label it LD. The BH of 9" is great if your form is not all that good. But it will take away alot of speed. 33"ATA IBO speed on this bow is 295fps.

S2 is alot like the original SB 33"ATA 7"BH IBO speed of this bow is 318fps.

Good luck and do not limit your choices to these bows shoot several different brands and models. Have fun and be sure to keep us posted. We love pics.:peace:

15. Scottyluck

Scottyluck Member

I loved my XT. But if you're looking for speed the Drenalin and the S2 are both faster. The Drenalin is a real smooth bow. I haven't shot the S2 but did own the original SB which was smooth as well. PRetty much the only difference in the S2 and the original SB is the S2 has a Drenalin idler wheel and a little less weight. All the vitals are the same.

All the bows listed will be fairly close in speed. Probably within 10fps provided they are set up the same and in spec. Unless you're taking hunting shots out past 35yds you probably won't notice the difference in speed.

They're all shooters. Find the one that feels best for you.

16. Leo

Leo New Member

Hey, thanks a lot. I will look at a few other brands, but I really have a pro shop that I like that carries Matthew's so want to do my business with that fellow. I feel far more informed and ready to take the next step. Thanks again for your help.:amen:

17. Leo

Leo New Member

Dxt

I went to the Pro-shop last evening and played with a few of the Matthew's.
    I didn't get to shoot any, but the DXT felt great in my hand. I plan on looking at Bowtech this afternoon, I'll see what that does for me. (I really like that DXT!).

18. Scottyluck

Scottyluck Member

There is a difference between "good in the hand" feel and the actual feel of the draw cycle and shot. To make your best judgement you really need to shoot them. Hopefully your shop will work with you and let you shoot any bow you'd like.