Target bow setup?

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by two_shoes, Mar 23, 2006.

1. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

Hey guys & gals,

I was wondering what would be a good starting point for a dedicated target bow, i.e. spots or 3D.(differences?) I have been looking online and Hoyt (pro tec) seems to be popular. Looking for bow, rest and sight types. I'd like to save up for one of these rigs. Are used bows ok? like from 2002 or newer? :noidea:

Thanks,

-two_shoes

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

In todays world of great equipment I dont beleive that you are limited to the protec, ultratec, proelite, or ultraelite. I think you would be amazed at what you could do even w/the Trykon or Trykon XL. Both of these bows shoot better than any of us here can actually make them perform.:cool: Jmo

3. two_shoes

Thanks for the reply BOWMAN. I had shot a pro-tech and found it very er... uh smooth is the only way to describe it. I believe it had the 2000 limbset, I don't know the cams. It was used but out of my price range @ $750. I also shot a Trykon, but found it almost violent. Now mind you, these were the first two bows I had really ever shot and to be fair, the Trykon was set up for a guy that was disapointed (mildly, nice guy to let m shoot his bow) with the 280+ he shot that night. Had some kind of optic/(clarifier?) on it that was bizare to me. Everything moved too fast in it like a blur. I was also using his thumb activated release. I'll have to try them again. I've only seen a couple of dedicated target bows and have only shot the two mentioned.
    So how do we get some company to start a "Pimp My Target Bow?" reality tv show??? :D

-two_shoes

4. srcarlso

srcarlso Member

Bows

Depending on what you want to do, choice of draw weight is important. For spots, stick with a 50 to 60# bow. For 3D, you will likely need the 60-70# model to get speeds over 280fps.

Most bows today are well made - stick with the name brands like Hoyt, Mathews, Martin, etc - but choose one that you feel fits you well. If a Protec already has been used with sucess and feels solid, go with it.

5. Ransombow

Ransombow Junior Member

Man....am I in a ugly mood tonight or what ???? But I never heard of needing a 60-70 lb bow for speeds over 280. As long as you tweak your arrows correctly and pare down your over all weight to as close to 5 grains as posible, you are well on your way to some rippin arrow speed.

6. LeftyPa

LeftyPa Guest

Agree.
    L_Pa

7. yetibowtech

yetibowtech Staff Shooter Uncle Bob's

yeti's target bow

I am shooting a bowtech Cammander, but any bow with a longer axle to axel and an >8" brace hight will be great. I use the Trophy Taker Spring steel 2 rest, Sure-loc supreme sight-it is spendy but the challanger is good for guys starting out and it is about half the price, but you'll still need to buy a scope or pin for it, really tho any sight will work if you are going to shoot in the bowhunters class. I like the 32" carbon elite from Doinker look for them on ebay and you'll save 2/3 the price. I am shooting Carter release I have a Atention Spike, and a revolution i use the Spike most of the time but if i start to cheat the release i will go bace to the revolution. I you have never shot back tension and want to do it right shoot a blank bail @ 5 yards draw back slowly close your eyes and fallow the instructions the Carter will send you with the release. shoot 100 arrows a day for 30 days. no target!!!!!!!!. After 30 days shoot 15days at 10 yards 100 arrows aday and in crease by 5 yards 10-15 days.

There is a lot of stuff out there so do your research I spent days reading about this stuff before i bought a bow and set it up. Call the companies and talk to there Pro staff ask alot of questions and if at all possible Find an accomplished shooter in your area and ask him to teach you the basic form and style. Make sure your draw length is spot on its a big deal and is key to being constant in your shooting. Just a warning there are alot of jerks out there who act like they know it all and will make you feel stupid for asking questions, just tell them to drop dead and find some one else. Don't believe every guy who says they shooting for Bowtech, Hoyt, Mattews........ect. 98% of them are lying.

Make sure you shoot for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't shoot for your self you will burn out in less then a year and someone will get a great bow on ebay for a fraction of what you paid.

8. pilot

pilot Senior Member

My target bow this year will be my hunting bow from last year....Fred Bear Instinct. I backed the the poundage down to about 63 pounds and replaced my WB with a Golden Premier prong rest. It's a high end setup i know...:peace:

9. two_shoes

I posted this almost 2 years ago.... It reminds me how much I have learned from my friends here on 3DShoots.com.
    My 3D rig is now an Apex 7 @ 60# with a 327gr arrow pushing 281 fps. I have another A7 but will likely trade it for an Apex in the 50-60# region for spots.

Thank you all for your help and humor.... I really apreciate it! :amen: :peace:

10. p47dman

p47dman New Member

Target bow set up

I am looking at a new target only bow. A Martin Scepter 4 with the furious x cams. I just wanted to chime in about set up that you guys are talking about. I shoot a Bowtech 82nd Airbourne, HHA 5519 sight, 29" draw length, 70 pounds. Arrows are CX Maxima 250 cut at 27.75" with a 75 grain point. They weight in at 326 grains. They have a 7%foc and fly at 351fps. Speed does not make you an accurate shooter, form is the most important factor. Next is bow tuning, center shot placement, tiller, cam timing on dual cam setups, nock location. The gentle man that states "don't listen to everybody" is correct. My wife just started shooting, and just about everyone at the range wants to give her advice, they are meaning only good in doing so. But they all want her to shoot as they do. You can go to pro shop for instruction and get the basics, but in the long run you need to do what is comfortable for yourself and you need to do that same thing everytime. My son puts his thumb behind his neck as an anchor, I cannot do that. Get your draw length set, find a comfortable anchor point, get the peep located. I like to tell people to start off right, a young man came to the range and just wanted to shoot his bow that someone had given him. he shot for a while and then asked why he could not shoot like some of the people there. I told him to take his bow out to the counter, have a center shot set, the nock, draw lenght, and peep. took all of 10 minutes to do this. he was shooting paper plate size groups now instead of barely hitting the bale. I know I am kind of rambling here, but good form and good equipment set up well is the only way to shoot.

11. goodshepherdyoutharchery

goodshepherdyoutharchery Faith based archery WORKS

Purely as anecdotal evidence;

My wife is shooting above 250's on 5 spot consistently using an itty-bitty Darton Ranger II set up 45# @ 27". She has been shooting for 2 months.
    There is another lady there who shoots an amazingly tricked out target model that has been plinking away for years and cannot break 225. She tried out the other ladies snazzy bow and said "It was nice" I asked her if she'd like one like it and she said "Why, my bow shoots just fine." Will she get a snazzy target bow, someday? Sure, I'm proud of her and her accomplishments.

12. wyoming4x4

wyoming4x4 New Member

target stuff

Well on the target bow stuff I was fortunate to have a guy who was up grading and sold his bow to me and equipment. i had to buy my own site system axcell with truespot. I think it was a situation randy thought it was going to a good home. He won a tournament with it at one time and sentimental value is placed on it. He cut me a decent deal and helped me get started in this sport. i don't agree with everything he says but his fundamentals are sound. Blank bails is boring but necessary. If you can find a guy that shoots target stuff and maybe he has a used bow that shoots well and get you started in the sport. Because in the beginning we don't really know what we like on the bow. I'm still learning and adding weight to my bow to settle me down. We are currently helping another gentleman get started with a constitution 2007 set up and helping out anyway I can. What comes around goes around type situation. I really enjoy this sport and the people I meet along the way.