Target Bow Speeds

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Hoytshooter9, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Hoytshooter9

Hoytshooter9 Junior Member

I was wondering what kinds of speeds you were getting with you target bows. With mine i am getting right around 275. I am shooting a ProElite at 70 lbs. w/spirals at a 28 inch draw shooting a a/c super slim 400 at 400grans I was just wondering what kinds of speeds you were getting and with what kinds of bow at what poundages?

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Are you shooting this for hunting or target? The arrow you are shooting is good for hunting and the speed is decent. For target shooting, I would go lighter arrow and lighter poundage.

I shoot an apex 7 at 63-64# 29" draw at 296fps, but this is for 3D.

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

yeah what he said! drop that weight way down!

4. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

I agree. 70# is not condusive to target shooting. I don't care how big and strong you are. If you can't shoot 100 arrows in a session without getting tired then it's too much. Most serious target shooters are pulling in the low to mid fifties; some in the mid to upper forties. It's done for accuracy.

As for the speed? What kind of target shooting are you doing? If it's all makred yardage then speed really is a non-issue. If it's for 3D then speed can help, but heavy weight just makes arrows harder to pull. Penetration isn't necessary on foam or paper.

For the record my target bow set at 27" and 53# shoots at 264 fps. My 3D bow set at the same specs shoots 299 fps.

5. Hoytshooter9

Hoytshooter9 Junior Member

this is more of a hunting setup than a 3d or target. sorry about the confusion

6. Allen

Allen Senior Member

My Icon @ 27" with a 320 grain arrow pulling 48 #'s gets 220 fps.

This is for indoor, so this is plenty fast enough.

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Same set up as Allen, but at 55lbs, getting 225fps, again only for indoor....

8. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Hoytshooter,

Yeh, you did ask about target setups, but I still stand by my earlier statement about speed not being that important. Assuming your hunting setup is for average deer hunting like eastern hardwoods where shots are short (30 yards and less) speed just isn't that important.

I've done some tests to prove this to myself. Had a bow shooting 290 fps at 60# and when cranked to 65# the arrow only hit about 2" higher at 35 yards.

Even the difference between 260 fps and 300 fps is almost imperceptable at ranges around 20 yards.

OK, and all that being said my hunting bow shoots a 330gr arrow 264 when set to 27" draw and 58#. I've routinely had pass-throughs on deer shooting a 315gr arrow at 237 fps.

What I do consider essential is a smooth draw (low draw weight) and no noise.

9. piethon

piethon Member

I am shooting a Martin Cougar III SE with dyna cams. I use it for 3D and hunting. The draw weight is around 62#. To tell you the truth I am unsure on the weight of the arrows. I shoot gold tip expeditions 5575 I think??. They are fairly heavy for a carbon. I usually don't care to much about speed, as long as I am hitting the mark. Out of curiosity I cronoed it the last time I was at the shop. I want to say it was around 251 fps.

10. Randy B

Randy B Junior Member

My target bow is a CSS challenger w/os3 cams at 29" and 60#s and shooting a 312gr gt ul400 i'm getting 294

11. Allen

Allen Senior Member

For most of us I think that statement is true. However, the best archer that I personally know, a former Vegas winner, likes a little speed. He recently switched to carbon arrows to get this. Obviously, more speed is a minor factor. His incredibly consistent form is much more important.

He is not talking about radical speed. Just the difference between about 225 increased to 250 fps.

On his advice, I also switched to carbons, but have not yet noticed any benefit. That's probably because my form is not quite as consistent as his. :biggrin1: (actually it's not very close)

Does anyone else find better accuracy with more speed?

12. Hkdfrlife

Hkdfrlife Senior Member

Apex 7

Rcently picked up a new Apex. Not sure on the arrow weight (Easton Redline, 690's)but at 56# @ 25.5 inch arrow it was going thru the chrono at 309fps. My draw length is 27.5. I'm thinking of dropping it down around 52This is strictly for 3-D. Conquest 3 set at 53# using GT X-cutter ultralights for indoor. Still moves out pretty good but I've not checked the speed

13. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

280 FPS is the limit for 3d ;)

Speed DOES NOT equal accuracy. Period. Especially when shooting spots at 20 yards.

14. Hkdfrlife

Hkdfrlife Senior Member

Speed

Does the 280 fps apply to IBO also? I didn't think they had a speed restriction, just the 5gr per lb on the arrow weight

15. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Pretty sure it does... I think? IBO rules appear to be written by a drunken lawyer

http://www.ibo.net/rules/

"1. Arrows must weigh at least five grains per pound of the bow’s maximum shooting weight unless the archer’s equipment qualifies for the exception set out in paragraph 2 below. Shooting weight is defined as the bow’s maximum draw or thrust weight, whichever is greater. A variance of 5 grains or 2 pounds of draw weight shall be allowed for scale variation (not both). For example: You will not be allowed to have a bow two pounds heavy with an arrow 5 grains light for the weight you thought you had (295 grain arrow and a 62 pound bow weight). Equipment qualifying in this paragraph (A)(1) shall have no limit on arrow speed."

"2. In the case where an archer’s equipment, when shot at five grains per pound, does not generate 280 fps, that archer may shoot arrows weighing less than 5 grains per pound. However, equipment qualifying under this paragraph (A)(2) shall not exceed an arrow speed of 280 fps. A variance of 3% will be allowed for chronograph variation."

16. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

Hoyt trykon at 69 lbs shoots 285 with 400 grain arrow, 28.5 dl, same bow at 28 dl shoots 340 grain arrow at 282 at 62 lbs.... i use it for hunting, spots and 3d, i added 1/2 on the dl so the 340 grain arrows will be a little faster this year for spots and 3d, so ill pry shoot 60 or 61 lbs, if the arrows spine out ok at that weight.