target panic?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by I missed, Aug 25, 2008.

1. I missed

I missed Senior Member

how do i fix it?

2. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

shoot left handed....:noidea:

You will get lots of answers/ideas on this one...here is what I do:

1. shoot a back tension release
    2. blank bale for an extended period
    3. aiming drills where you draw/aim/let down
    4. after the blank bailing, shoot from 5 yds and gradually move back.

I have found all of them to work, but I do not have the patience enough to stick with them for as long as it takes....so the panic just keeps coming back. I freeze below and to the right of the x... I am getting better, but it still creeps up on me from time to time!

3. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot New Member

What is target panic...I've heard of buck fever, but who would get nervous at paper?

4. Hook Em

:wave::wave:

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Man, there are books written about the subject.

I'll take the easy way out and suggest that you look into Hook's suggestions.

Good luck.

Ron

6. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot New Member

seriously, though...what is target panic? Like release punching and failure to hold relaxed at the firing moment?

7. Paul S.

Paul S. I do not follow!

1. You can do practice drills for months to try and get rid of it, or...

2. You can buy a back tension release, learn to use it in a couple of weeks, and probably be TP free.:wave:

I chose option 2, and never looked back. I went from not being able to hit sand if I fell off a camel:noidea: , to shooting pretty darn good in a matter of weeks.:rockon:

8. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

There are all different types of target panic.
    1.) punching your release (aka drive by shooting)
    2.) unable to hold on a target. (can't push the pin into the center of a spot)
    3.) unable to draw on a target (believe it or not I seen a guy like this)
    4.) knowing your gonna miss before you take the shot....
    5.) dropping your bow arm so you can watch the arrow.

These are a few and I am sure there are more that I didn't list.

9. rodney482

rodney482 I love this stuff

all of which are caused by the fear of missing.

get away from light triggers

Draw your bow close your eyes,,,open your eyes and use your body to move the pin to the target instead of your arm.

Learn to relax and let the pin float in the area you want to hit.

blind bale shooting works

make sure your bow fits you

make sure you are not drawing too much weight

if all else fails, buy a Carter Evolution plus and learn to aim.

10. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I am the same way....mine comes and goes. But when shooting at 3D or live animals all is fine so I guess I'll just keep punchin at the paper.:peace:

11. Hook Em

bingo...no problems shooting 3d and hunting :noidea:

The back tension release didn't cure squat for me...and I don't care for the evolution, but I am going to try it again this winter. I am still a fan of my longhorn though (shot it this past weekend for the first time at a 3d shoot and shot even :rockon: )!

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

is that Cordwood I smell???:noidea:

13. JDX--

JDX-- Member

A flaw in your form or shot sequence in play with the fear of missing = Target Panic

Hooks had some great ideas to help counter act this.

Take the game out of your head and have fun, go out there with the confidence and desire to tare it up and if you throw an arrow once in a while so be it, it’s shot don’t worry about that arrow or the next just focus on shot that you are doing at the moment,
    A lot of people are very hard on their selves and tend to take the fun out of the game even if you have a bad day there are hundreds of archers in this country that wish they could have shot those scores.

14. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot New Member

I used to have all those listed problems(still do occasionaly). I stopped shooting at 30 and built my confidence back up at 10 and just focused on shooting..not aiming, but shooting for about 3 straight weeks. Heck, today I shot a golfball off a stick at 30(with the fletchings). I'd say confidence is key.

15. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

When i stop concentrating on where I want the arrow to go and start thinking about releasing it is when I have the most trouble. As soon as my mind drifts from the spot I want to hit its over, usually I have to let down. Just my experiences.

16. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Senior Member

I would like to chime in here. I still have target panic to a point. If I shoot at my block 4x4 I am only ok at shooting the dots but if I am shooting at the vitals where there is no defined area just a mental picture of where I want my arrow to go, I shoot much better. What I recommend is LEARN YOUR TRIGGER. I was having the same problem with my Glock. I would fire off shots that were erratic and poorly placed. I then started learning my trigger. It worked like this, what is the most amount of pressure that I can squeeze my trigger before the actual fire. I practiced this over and over until I knew exactly how much pressure was needed right b4 the fire. I place my shot squeeeeeeeze the trigger gently to the cutting edge then my mind knows the next fraction of pressure that I give will release the firing pin. I applied the same mentality to my caliper release and it has made a world of difference.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  17. I missed

I missed Senior Member

with my block 4x4 i found the same thing, ill try the trigger thing thanks

18. Hook Em

The best way to get rid of the panic is to not let your brain know when the shot is going to go off...that is the whole point with back tension. If your brain is anticipating the shot, it won't be good...maybe good for a while, but not for long term success. The release should be a SURPRISE! Not a thing wrong with punching if you aren't a target shooter looking to be better or get over a hump that you can't get past...I punch when I hunt with no problems. I TRY to always use back tension when shooting targets though...not that I am worth the crap at it!!

19. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Senior Member

I find a punch to be ranked up there with a flinch. My personal opinion (Disclaimer at bottom) is that you need to train your brain to know and undertstand that the release IS part of the full shot execution and if you must train your WHOLE body for proper form, breathing, sight placing then shotexecution you should not allow your brain to cut corners at the most vital stage as it can result in a poor wounding shot and not a kill shot.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here today are that of the sole individual and do not in any way reflect the opinions of others :D