Target Releases

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by JSBeaver, Nov 24, 2007.

1. JSBeaver

JSBeaver Junior Member

I want to start competing in some of the local 3D shoots here in the Dallas area. Currently I'm using a Tru Fire release and I'm not too impressed with it (comfort, mechanics, etc). I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction, I'm looking for a release that is smooth and reliable and doesn't cost BIG $$$.

Thanks.

2. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

What style ?

Wrist strap, T-handle, glove style ?
    Also, do you want to have a trigger or use back tension ?

There are literally hunreds of options and even more permutations.

People out here can help but try and give us as much info as you can about what style you are looking for.

Ron

3. SinGin

SinGin Banned

I shoot a Tru Ball Chappy, it's a T style.

4. JSBeaver

JSBeaver Junior Member

The release I have now is a wrist strap type. I was really interested in the Carter T-Handle type for no other reason than there are a lot of perfessional shooters using those expensive Carter's.

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I use a Carter Solution 3 for target. It has either a back tension (with a safety) or a thumb trigger mode that you can change with just turning an allen head screw. It's very adjustable and it might be worth taking a look at.

Another release I use often is a TRU Ball Pro Diamond. It's a T handle thumb trigger that has a bunch of different ways you can set the trigger up. I have mine set up so when you squeeze your hand into a fist you fire it. It's not a BT release but you definitely get a surprise release when you set it up the way I have mine. Slowly squeeze and it'll fire.

Here's a pic how I have it set up. The trigger is a Carter 'Adjust-o-trigger'... It fits with no modifications.

Benefit of the Pro Diamond is that the head rotates 360 degrees so you can shoot it off the string, d-loop, etc with no interference from the head. The Solution 3, while versatile, has to be used with a long-ish d-loop or release rope on the release itself.

They both feel good in my hand to me.

Ron

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I have mine setup the exact same way.......

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, I remember that now. That's a great way to set that release up.
    Do you use the carter adjust-o-trigger ?
    If not you should try it. It gives you more leverage and moves the trigger closer to the center of your palm. It makes an even more sensitive/surprise shot since your palm has a little more leverage.

Ron

8. JSBeaver

JSBeaver Junior Member

Thank you for the tips - Since I'm kinda new at this sport I don't know all of the releases out there. Now I can go to my favorite Pro Shop and try out a few releases and ask intelligent questions.