The agony and the ecstacy, HELP ME PLEASE.

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Southernfryedyankee, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Senior Member

Ok as some of you may have read in one of my past posts I have been battling left and right flyers. I decided to purchase a new grip for my bowtech to help in my torquing issue. After inspecting some of the grips from different manufacturers I noticed that there is an extended "armpit" if you will on these new grips that sit on your hand more consistently and securely which gave me a brainstorm, what if I tighten my hand sling so it utilizes my wrist and allows me to open my hand more. After doing this I used my draw check tool to see how my bow was resting at full draw and I noticed an immediate improvement of my bow sitting more level in my sights bubble level. So now here it gets INCREDIBLY insane. I just got back in from shooting at my Block 4x4 and I was amazed to see that after all my adjustments I couldnt hit the middle black dot as consistently as I thought I would BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT I turned it to the deer vital and I had 6 PERFECT heart shots in a row then immediatly after, 2 PERFECT heart shots VERY CLOSE together and 1 lung shot (ALL perfect kill shots) immediatly after that 3 more PERFECT heart shots in a row, If they were real deer I would have killed 12 in a row without a doubt. Do my eyes and brain prefer not being able to see the "direct" target in front of me? Im telling you I was so amazed that I just shot the BEST groups of my life on the vital side I turned it back around and couldnt hit even 2 shots in the black dot to save my own life. HELLLP ME.

2. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Sounds like target panic to me. I can shoot a 3D target fine but when I shoot at an X with my wrist release I freeze below and do alot of drive by shooting.:doh:

3. Southernfryedyankee

I dont think it was target panic, I mean I was so calm and collective and I could see the big black dot in front of me, I just couldnt hit it. As far as the vitals all I had was a sillouette of a deer and I was ON POINT same form, same release, same everything except the accuracy. Tell me more about target panic, Could the fact that the black on the target was blending in with the black of my peep and causing me to misjudge my windage?

4. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

do you grip the bow? or do you use the thumb palm w/ a slight grip. If its no# 2 your set up is off. If its no# 1 your grip is wrong!!

5. Southernfryedyankee

I basically use the pacman grip I never officially grip the bow but I do allow the little bit of the armpit on the grip that I have to sit on that little flap of skin on my hand while putting my thumb and fingers str8 ahead of me JUST to adjust my bubble level. As far as my setup being off how could I shoot almost 12 perfect shots in a row in the heart after turning my target from the dots then just mess up everything after turning my target back to the dots?

6. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

definatley onet hing is that when you move to spots it gets more mental. for a heart shot your aiming at larger target. Just the fact that you see the X makes you unknowingly panic and makes it harder to settle in. My suggestion is start w/ a single spot. If you arent already. shoot it at 10 yds. for a day. next move to 15 yds. for a day. Get the feel of shooting at a spot. Then move to 25 yds. skip the 20. shoot that for 2 days. then shoot the 20. what your trying to acheive is getting a feel for it on the 10 & 15 yrd target. Then after you got a feel. Shoot the 25. When you move to the 20. The target will be closer and you'll get more comfortable. Shooting at a farther distance and moving closer will mentally tell youself you can do this!! its easier... Trust me... Shooting is 80% mental and 20 skill. Ask the pro's....
    You gotta convince yourself your gonna shoot good. If I go to a tournament 2nd guessing myself on yeardage or how I'm shooting. It will trickle down to a menatal thing. Then your done!!!!!!

7. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Yes

Dj is wright on the money!
    the only thing to add is when your shooting at these distances try useing the count-down method, before shooting the first target of the day @ 10yds pull the bow back settle on the x,count to 10 @ let the bow back down.
    in panic situation's like dj said you have to reset your brain to shoot.
    this work's ive used it.:biggrin1:

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

target panic is not always being shakey and nervous......the problen is you are worried about not hitting the X and trying to hard.....even ifyou are relaxed.....also some people were just not cut out for paper....I like shooting 5spot targets but I love shooting 3-d's on Sunday mornings....:rockon:

I cannot put the pin on the x on a five spot target...I let it sit at 6:00 and and adjust so that the arrow hits the x....

there are people that will say this will only get worse but it seems to have worked pretty well forthe last 2 years......

9. HOYT4LIFE

HOYT4LIFE Guest

I was told that flying arrows to the right of your mark is a form of target panic because you are releasing your release arm with the shot causing it to be a flyer.Is this true????

10. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

bowman

one way i used is using 2 completely different set-ups which im sure you do but alot of people dont which creates target panic
    on 3-d use higher weight like 65-70lbs
    and on 5-spot i shot 52lb which i had know panic
    what you explained was one thing i was doing indoor's and mine lasted to but i got in the book's and studyed target-panic and what caused it & how to correct it on me. its all about weight if you take a bow crank it up to 70lbs shoot it for a while you will get a little bit un-stable holding on
    if u crank it back down say 50lbs there will be a solid hold.:biggrin1:

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

sure...target panic can be different for everyone...most shooters freeze up off the X and cant get on target...but it could cause form issues too.