The Grip...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by swintj1, Oct 11, 2007.

1. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

What is the proper grip? Should I be "balancing" the bow with my index finger and thumb, and have the remaining three fingers off the grip, or should I actually grip the handle and hold at a steady pressure. Sometimes I see the pros with all their finger off the grip...it simply balances in between their thumb and index, and other times, I see people with all their fingers wrapped around it...help!

Thanks

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Here is what I use. The grip of the bow should rest in the crotch of your thumb and index finger and run out the center of your palm (where the "life line" is on your palm). This puts your knuckles at an angle and takes them away from the riser. I put my index finger lightly on the front of the riser, but I am not balancing the bow with that finger. The bow is free to pivot how ever it wants to on the pad of my thumb. By taking my fingers off the grip and letting it settle naturally, It should repeat itself.

Kinda hard to explain.

3. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Here you go. This should be worth 1000 words.......

4. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

NO GRIPPING

The bow should be against the meaty part of your palm just below your thumb. And your fingers should just be relaxed do not stiffin them up trying to open them just let them hang there.

5. Werd

Werd Senior Member

its how you want to shoot. what makes you shoot good. i used to open my hands for about 1-3 years. then i got into shooting with them closed. i shot just as good if not better but i would pull shots alot. so i went back to open hands and now its good. just shoot open.

6. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

yeah...what they said :wave:

the pic that JCMorgan posted is the grip I use....used to open the fingers, but it wasn't as good for me.