This is a down year for me...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by gmherps, Oct 14, 2007.

1. gmherps

gmherps Senior Member

I have not been able to get out to the woods for a while now. My back has been so bad as of late, and with me having to take so much pain meds, I really do not feel very safe going out by myself.

I finally got so pissed off about all this, that I sold my bow(s). I can't believe I did it, but I did. I plan on getting me a new Bowtech sometime after the new'uns come out.

I never that I would have to do it, but I might just have to talk to my doctor about getting me a X-Bow physician statement. I know I could have gotten one years ago, since I;m a disabled veteran, but I wanted to wait it out until this point. I hate having to deal with this crap.

I'm actually looking forward to gun season, but not for the right reasons. I hate gun season, but that is the only time I will be able to get freezer meat.

Sorry for my rant and crying but this just sucks major ass right now.

2. red44

red44 Senior Member

Sorry to hear bro. Is your back something that will heal or is it a cronic thing?

3. gmherps

gmherps Senior Member

I have a lot of fractured vertabrea in my spine, so yes it's chronic.

4. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Sorry to hear about back. I'm just getting back into bow hunting after a 5 yr. layoff. After a cpl. back ops and a lot of therapy I got the good to go from the docs. Hope it works out for me and you too. Good luck.

5. red44

red44 Senior Member

I think I would get both an x-bow and a new Bowtech. If your feeling well enough, shoot the bowtech. X-bow as a back-up. At least you could get the freezer filled and be in the woods without gun hunters.
    I've had a few short stints on the DL with back strains, but no damage. For someone who's never tweeked their back they have no idea how bad it can be. You cannot move an eyelid it seems, without causing pain. Stinks bro, but go get that x-bow script and get in the woods. I know of one guy who hunts in "my" woods with one. He is'nt killing all the deer. His effective range is no further than mine. I don't feel like he's cheating me in any way. Do what you have to, but get out there, you'll feel better just going.

6. thehairlessone!

thehairlessone! Senior Member

Sorry to hear that greg! Maybe you could go to a lighter draw weight? With todays bows I bet a 50 lb. bow would be enough.

hope you get to feeling better.

rick

7. gmherps

gmherps Senior Member

Thanks a lot guys for the kind words. My DW was already at #60 and that was even straining a lot to get it back.

Maybe I'll just pop about 4 hydrocodone and get my arse out there!!!lol:laugh:

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I think legal hunting weight is in the 40 - 50 range for most places. Get yourself a 45 pound 75% letoff rig and have fun :) I bet at 45 pounds you'd still get 200 FPS or more on a lot of modern bows

9. red44

red44 Senior Member

Just to give you something to chew on. 40 lbs, short DL, Rocket steelheads.
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=571875
    Fully penetrated the chest after hitting the leg on the way in. Not to mention all the deer killed with recurves in the 40-50 lb class.

10. RedFletchings

RedFletchings Member

40lbs will do it

Here is my sons deer. Went 10 yards and dropped.

11. gmherps

gmherps Senior Member

I'm going to check into something like that bow. The problem is holding the bow up and getting the back muscles to operate in the correct form.

Great deer your kiddo got buddy!

12. thehairlessone!

thehairlessone! Senior Member

greg,
    i would get the new bowtech and shoot it at 50 lbs. If you used a lighter arrow it would still be pretty darned quick I would bet.

Check out this article. She with a 50 lb. bow and a grim reaper.

http://www.womenhunters.com/wyoming-janice-baer.html

rick

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  13. gmherps

gmherps Senior Member

Thanks a lot Rick!

It's hard for me to have to come to grips with this dayum back thing.

Thanks again for all you have done brother!