Thumb release

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by robert32904, Nov 20, 2007.

1. robert32904

robert32904 Junior Member

I have been shooting a wrist release for 3D targets. I am now considering a thumb release. I've looked at Carter, Scott and TRU Ball, almost to many models to make a choice. Any pros or cons?
    Thanks

2. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

Check out the Cascade Model 10. The people at Spott-Hogg make it, I have been using it for 2 yrs now and love it. I tried some of those you mentioned and went with this one...

3. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

You are right....there are too many to choose from......:dizzy:

It is hard to make suggestions when releases (especially T-handles) are a personal fit type of thing. I have three T-handles at my house right now. Two tru-balls and a Stan. I shoot the Stan the most and it is the most comfortable in my hand.

Best advice I can give it to try to make it to a place that has several to choose from and shoot them a little.

4. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Trying to figure out the best release is not always an easy thing... since most of them have different customization options on for tension, release placement and shooting styles. JCM said it best, try as many as you can before you decide which one to go with. And even when this happens, you may still not be happy with it.

I personally shoot the Stan X2 four fingers, which I find to be very comfortable in the hand. But it took 2 other releases before I was happy with this one. :doh:

5. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

A bow's grip and your release are the two items you actually put your hands on. They are the items most influenced by "feel" and chosen by an archer's personal preference.

Like Jay Are said, there are also many different types like hinges, thumb triggers, pull throughs and then different shapes and sizes of each of them. Gettin your hands on them is very important....

6. MO.HICK

MO.HICK Senior Member

I have been looking for a good thumb release also. The spot-hogg cascade model 8 and 10 are being discontinued for 2008. I have been e-mailing back and fourth with them this week. They have a few model 10 left in stock at the factory in blue. But have no more in model 8. I have also shot the tur-ball chappy boss and liked it. But get what fits your hand.

Mo.Hick

7. slamdam

slamdam Senior Member

I use the Tru ball 3-d pro for hunting and 3-d and love it.

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

tru ball pro diamond.......for me......

9. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Me too. Love mine.

btw - look for used! ebay or archerytalk classifieds. Much better buying a release for 50 and re-selling it for 50 - S&H then buying one for 90+ and then selling it for 50 when you hate it :)

10. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

tru-ball st 360 is what I use for hunting..

11. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

I am wit Pin on this one. I have tryed about 25 T handles. And still have most. The True ball ST 360 is one of the best I have found. I have a 3 finger ST 360 for target and 3D, and hunt with a sabertooth 4 finger for hunting.

12. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Been messin around with my Tru-Fire Revolver thumb release. Its much better for me so far than my BT releases I have tried. I may be hunting next year with a thumb release.:noidea:

13. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

me too...I went from a wrist to thumb release and I don't like my wrist release anymore.

14. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I would like ta rtry a pure back tension maybe a Stan. I have a carter same old thing an dnever sould git it ta going good . shot them stinkin' wrist fer to long

15. robert32904

robert32904 Junior Member

Thanks for all of the replies

I will continue to explore the options and try several.