Thumb Release

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Alex, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Alex

Alex Member

I am looking to get a thumb release for shooting 3d and spot. What is a good release thats isnt a pure tension because i like to know when the bow is going to go off... and i am willing to buy a used one if the price isnt too bad.

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Tru ball makes some good ones...Like the pro diamond...
    You really have to see which ones feel right in your hand...

3. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I have been using a Tru Ball Extreme and I really like it. It has the "talon" head which I prefer over the caliper head.

I should be getting a Stan Super-X in the mail in a day or two. They are really nice also.

You can probably find a used Tru Ball here or in the AT classifieds for $50-$60.

There are sooooo many different ones, that the best thing to do is go to the local club or archery shop and ask to shoot a few. Find out which ones fit your hand the best.

4. Alex

Alex Member

Well im from North Dakota and there isnt any shops that carry them so if i wanted on i would have to order it and be stuck with it im in michigan now still in the hospital but ill try looking around here at adams archery and vans also.

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

why are you in the hospital?? is everything o.k.??

I got a used true ball from dredly and love it.....I am not even sure what model it is.....

6. BowTech81

BowTech81 Member

Tru Ball

I am shooting a Tru Ball King George. I really like this release because it is a thumb and/or a pinky release. And the thumb release has no travel so it is a nice suprise most times. Also if I start to anticipate the shot I switch from thumb to pinky or both. It works well for me.

7. slamdam

slamdam Senior Member

I got a tru ball and love it. My groups have shrunk.

8. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I have not tried tru-ball but I have heard good things about them. I have only shot a carter thumb release and I love it. It is very smooth.

9. Alex

Alex Member

Everything is fine i get out tomorow :amen:

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

glad to hear it...:peace:

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Ditto...:biggrin1:

12. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I tried a TRU Ball Pro Diamond with the round trigger and I liked it. I tried the Pro Diamond with the diamond shaped trigger and I didn't like it. I also tried a Tru Fire but I do not remember which model it was. It did not fit in my hand comfortably drawing the bow.

I ended up buying a Carter Solution 3 from Chris and then buying the Carter "Adjusto" trigger barrel for it. The Sol 3 can be used as a thumb or a back tension release. There is a screw you just remove to make it a thumb trigger. In backtenstion mode the thumb trigger acts like a safety. I really like the way it feels and my shooting has steadily improved because I think my anchor is more consistent than with my old wrist release. A couple of my snotty friends don't even give me as much grief anymore...:laugh:
    I call that a major accomplishment...:laugh:

One of these days I'll try it in backtension mode but I have not built up the courage for that yet.

But, what brokenarrow said, you need to try several because they each feel unique in your hand, especially when drawing the bow and at full draw.

Good luck !

Ron