Tiller tuning, do you or don't you?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Chris, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Well, I was shooting my indoor bow the other night. It's set at about 55# with a sureloc scope on it. I noticed that as I pull through the shot, it wants to climb out of the X ring. Now, I have played with the weights on the stabilizers, both front, back, and side bars. I just couldn't get it the way I wanted.

So last night I started working on my grip. I normally like to heal the grip a bit. Maybe just a touch more than what would be considered even pressure. The trouble was when I did this it would cause me to shoot out the top occasionally. However the good part was my left to rights were nearly complete gone.

So I was looking for a way to solve this, more weight out front was not the answer. So I grabbed a wrench and took a 1/2 turn off the top limb bolt. This completely changed the way the bow aimed. Now I can pull through the shot and keep it pretty steady.

I was just wondering if anyone else does this to help their bows aim a little better for them?

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

now i will.......:biggrin1:

3. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

What cam system????

Hey Chris,

What kind of cam setup are you shooting? (i.e. single, binary, cam & 1/2.....)
    Just curious... also what is you top and bottom tiller measurements?

-two_shoes

4. Chris

This bow is a Mathew Apex7. But I shoot a bunch of different bows including bowtech, mathews and hoyt.

I haven't measured the tiller yet. But I'll do that next time I get a chance.

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

what you dont want to let the masses know you only shoot from the darkside???:biggrin1: :biggrin1:

I am only saying what everyone is thinking.....:biggrin1: :biggrin1:

6. Allen

Allen Senior Member

Chris,

Tiller tuning has not proved helpful to me yet. This is mainly because I have too many form consistency problems to work on for it to be useful. I wouldn't know if the tiller setting was giving me good results or if I was just shooting better. It's not unusual for me to shoot a 5X on one end and a 1X on the next end.

I did find one of my bows that I had not used in a while shot better when I evened up the tiller. It was a full turn and a half off.

Maybe I'll try it. More shooting certainly can't hurt.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  7. Chris

No, I like being on the darkside, I don't care who knows!. :rockon:

8. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Ok, when I was shooting a few years ago, I had a really good friend that worked on my bow for me. So,since he just fixed it for me, I don't know what all this terminology means.:doh: What the heck it Tiller tuning? And since I took my bow down to the shop yesterday and had the pull weight turned down a little do I need to paper tune, tiller tune and whatever else tuning I might need? I still have not shot my bow, cuz I live across from the Police Station and I don't think that would go over very well :noidea: :laugh:. I am going out to the range tomorrow and want to be able to tune my bow the best I can.

9. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

10. Allen

Allen Senior Member

11. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Help, Confused

Now I've never done this before and after reading that tiller tuning tutorial I'm kind of confused. I think I understand the first step. I often have a hard time getting my pin up on the target, it always wants to hang low an inch or two. If I adjust the tiller it might solve this problem, correct?
    Now with step two it says that if your groups are high or low to adjust the tiller in very small increments. How do you know it's the tiller that is off or if your pin is off? Are you suppose to sight the bow in before you mess with any of the tiller and then go off that? Help me Please!!!!!!:noidea:

12. Chris

Ok, shot my first league score since adjusting the tiller. I shot 27 X's in a row before shooting a 5. I had one bad end mid way thru and shot one round of 2 x's and 3 5's. Had a brain lapse. Over all was pretty good though. I ended up with 55x 300.

I'm happy with that especially knowing that it should have been about 57x.:peace:

13. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

Hey Clover&Oats, I think what you have is target panic. I think what Chris is sayin is.... When hes got his pin on the x, trying to pull the shot off, his bow is rising up as hes pulling, might be shooting a BT release? pls correct me guys if im wrong..... I had the same trouble with not being able to get my pin on the x, had no trouble getting it right under, so what i did was changed the direction i moved my pins to get it on the x, i would draw, then come up from the bottom, then developed problems, now i bring it in from the top, or the right side... seems to help me out....

14. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

OK I think understand a little more now, thanks bullspotter. I have wondered if starting up and coming down on the target would make a difference but have never practiced it too much. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip!!

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

sweet shooting chris.....now you know tommarow night I will be messingw/my bow....thanks alot.....:mad: :biggrin1:

16. Radar

Radar Story of my life

I actually never even thought about trying that, I may have to play around a little bit. Then again like I say "you can't fix stupid"

17. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

I tiller tune Chris. I do it alittle different than most. I have a old X-7 Stabilizer w/ a cut carbon fishing rod fixed to the end of it making the whole set up about 8 and 1/2 feet long. To make a long story short i aim w/ the end of the stabilizer set up and watch how it reacts during the draw cycle. I make adjustments on the limbs as needed until the stabilizer attachment stays center during the draw cycle.

18. hutchies

hutchies Junior Member

If it works why change it. Neat Idea.

19. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

My dad has an old front tine tiller and we have to tune it every season.:laugh:

20. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

:doh: :doh: :doh: