Tuning a split limb bow

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by radtuck, Sep 9, 2006.

1. radtuck

radtuck Junior Member

I learned something today. I bought a Hoyt Ultramag a few months ago (used), and have had an awesome time shooting the bow. I had a post about paper tuning a while back. I thought the bow was shooting well, but found out today that the yolk wasn't tuned properly. I always noticed that the top cam was tilted (bottom to the right), but didn't know if it was supposed to be that way. I figured that, since the strings are pulled at an angle to the cable guard, this was the reason that the cam was angled. I asked my local archery guy about it, out of mere conversation, and he told me that the yolk had to be adjusted to correct this problem. He shot the bow a couple of times while I stood behind him, and I noticed that the cam tilted even more at full draw. I would never have noticed it if he hadn't shot it with me watching. He put about 4 turns in the right hand string (where the string splits), and the bow shoots much straighter, and waaay quieter. I couldn't believe the difference. Cudos to my Archery guy!!! By the way, his name is Paul Eiland, and he runs a shop out of his garage in Lincoln, Ne. (Paul's Archery). I may be a bit biased, but the bigger stores around here aren't nearly as friendly, and never would have taken the time to try and solve my problem. :peace:

2. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Glad to hear you have things all lined up. And you are correct I love my local shop very well, most of the larger shops in the area are just trying to get through the day and make as much money as possible. My shop has stayed open sometimes an hour past closing just so he can give everyone there personal attention on whatever there problems may be. Of course while he is helping them I get to stay on the range and shoot past closing:cool:

3. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

this can happen on any bow, not only the split limb ones right?