Tuning Help on Black Ice

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by bwiz, Jul 11, 2008.

1. bwiz

bwiz New Member

I'm new to this forum and like what I've read so far. I purchased a 2008 Black Ice about a month ago and really like the bow. Although I am having trouble getting it tuning right. I've been out of 3D archery for about 10 years, I'm trying to climb back in. Any well intended help would be appreciated. Some specs. on the bow are: 60-70# draw weight, 29" draw length, 400 Gold Tip arrows, NAP Quick Tune 800 rest, Tru-Glow 4-pin sight, Trophy Hunter release.
    Any help you guys and gals can provide would be greatly appreciated.

bwiz:wave:

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

what kind of problems are you having? a .400 spine is probably weak for your setup at 70#. you might do better with a .340. One way to check is take a turn off your limb bolts to lower the bow weight and see if it gets better.

3. bwiz

bwiz New Member

To get good impact on paper tuning, moved the rest out way too far from center. At 10 yards, I had to move the sight pins out about an inch. It makes me think that something is drastically wrong with the bow. Any thoughts?

Bwiz
    :frusty:

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Hey bwiz something does not seem right with that....
    You had to move the sight out an inch ?

Hummmmm....

Are you gripping the bow handle with a death grip and torquing the bow ?
    Unless there is some mecanical issue that's the only thing I can think of that would cause a problem that big.

Arrow spine would not cause that, but J.C. did bring up a point. Your arrow spine, depending on point weight, actual draw weight, brace height, weight on the back of the arrow and arrow length might put you close to the middle of the line with 400 vs 340.

Ron

Ron

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  5. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

Bwiz, I say forget paper and go to a walk back tune. I would also go to stiffer arrows, do a check on vane clearance, are the vanes hitting anything?

6. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Center the rest first, then try either a stiffer splined arrow or lowering your drawweight for those arrows

7. bwiz

bwiz New Member

8. bwiz

bwiz New Member

Mathews Man,
    I lowered the draw weight a couple of turns, and that has reduced my group size to 1 1/2" at 20 yds. So stiffer arrows seems to be a step in the right direction.
    I checked with powder for vane contact and have detected none. Visually, the vanes have plently of clearence.

Thanks for your' reply and keep shooting,:wave:
    Bob Wisdom, aka BWiz

9. OB1.25

OB1.25 Junior Member

Bare shaft tuning

Bwiz,

i start out shooting at about 10 yards with a bare shaft and move the rest left or right until i get the point and nock in a straight line from were the arrow was shot. you may also want to walk back and shoot the paper to see if the tear is consistant or if it changes. as long as the arrow is square with the string( level when the bow is level) you should be ok, up and down. after you get the groups ok at 20 yards, walk back 30,40,50 making minute adjustments and they will tighten about even more at the closer yardages. i believe that if you do a search on yahoo, easton has a good tuning guide. happy shooting.:rockon:

10. bwiz

bwiz New Member

I'll check Easton site out, and thank you for your' advice.

BWiz

11. msgobblergetter

msgobblergetter New Member

Center shot was the toughest thing to get right on my O7 black ice. I don't remember the elevation of nock point, but it is in your manual and is correct for that bow. Once I got the elevation of the nock point correct per the manual, getting the windage was a snap. For that bow, I found that paper tuning after setting the nock point correctly was the key. I could not get proper shelf clearance with a QAD ultra rest with my black ice either. I ended up installing a trophy taker extreme rest and it shoots darts now. Hope this helps.

12. bwiz

bwiz New Member

Many Thanks!!

Thank you to all that offered advice on my tuning issues on my new bow. I have made very good progress with the suggestions. I have an rest upgrade planned this week. I want to try a drop away, perhaps the QAD Ultra rest. I've been thinking about it for a while.:decision:

Thanks ALL,
    BWiz